Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
To who? I would have thought it was pretty self explanatory, anyways I'll leave it there.

I rented a place out (spacious 2 bed flat) for something like £360 pcm in 2007. Guess how much the rent has increased by in the intervening 17 years ... It now rents out for £480 pcm. A massive increase of £7.05 per year.
How much have utilities increased during that period?

a rental is a contract so both know where they stand and know what to expect the court only comes into it iff something goes wrong
no fault evictions are cruel inhuman expensive and wasteful------but not for the landlords
people should be fair and stick to the contract
You're right. Like tenants I had who eventually moved out after not paying any rent for 10 out of their last 11 months in the property. They stuck to the contract ...

Sponsored Links
You're right. Like tenants I had who eventually moved out after not paying any rent for 10 out of their last 11 months in the property. They stuck to the contract ...

Why did it take so long to get them out? I don't know the law in Scotland.

Did you have insurance against rent arrears?

No increase in value over 20 years?

Do you live in a Steel town?
I bought a property for £75k in 2007. Guess how much it would achieve if selling today? around £80-85k. A massive increase in value of between £294 and £588 per year depending on what it achieved at sale.

Not every LL falls into the bracket you read about in the media ;)

I bought a property for £75k in 2007. Guess how much it would achieve if selling today? around £80-85k. A massive increase in value of between £294 and £588 per year depending on what it achieved at sale.

Not every LL falls into the bracket you read about in the media ;)

Very interesting, thanks. It shows that house prices haven't increased uniformly across the UK.

The same happens in England.

Some tenants know how to play the system. They are encouraged to do so by the local authority.

If the tenant stops paying rent it will cost you a fortune to get them out. There will be all sorts of excuses adding further delays. Eventually you get your property back minus everything that was in there and you've zero chance of recovering costs even if you are awarded them.

I didn't 'get them out.' If they had so chosen, because of temp legislation the SNP/Greens brought in during covid (now ended), they could have sat tight for another 6 months before I could legally have them evicted. That's right, they could have lived in the property paying zero rent for up to 17 months. Luckily for me they left ... and the place was a complete tip. Needs thousands spent on refurb. But hey, LLs have it easy ...

An even playing field ... don't make me laugh. Any LLs on here in England better just hope your legislation doesn't follow Scotland's!

The same happens in the England.

Some tenants know how to play the system. They are encouraged to do so by the local authority.

If the tenant stops paying rent it will cost you a fortune to get them out. There will be all sorts of excuses adding further delays. Eventually you get your property back minus everything that was in there and you've zero chance of recovering costs even if you are awarded them.

Is there insurance to cover these risks.

I thought it was 2 weeks notice for rent arrears.

It doesn't matter, they refuse to leave and you have to get a court order for possession.

I didn't 'get them out.' If they had so chosen, because of temp legislation the SNP/Greens brought in during covid (now ended), they could have sat tight for another 6 months before I could legally have them evicted. That's right, they could have lived in the property paying zero rent for up to 17 months. Luckily for me they left ... and the place was a complete tip. Needs thousands spent on refurb. But hey, LLs have it easy ...

An even playing field ... don't make me laugh. Any LLs on here in England better just hope your legislation doesn't follow Scotland's!

Don't you have no fault eviction in Scotland?

Why do renters campaigners always quote the average price - my first house needed lot of work and was well under the average. Its false they should be quoting the average of a FIRST TIME buyer. Young people this day and age seem to want every given to them on a plate - entitled.
They also quote the average salary. If you're starting out you will probably be below the average salary and when you're below the average salary taking any money out for saving for a deposit is much harder.

They do it because it's the only practical way to do it. Reporting it based on minimum wage would be ridiculous and depressing.

Sponsored Links
Back