Taping up cable end

My simple "No" comment was to keep it short and not babble on.
We all know it should be adequately and securely contained.
we all know it should really be terminated properly, soldered/chock bloc/ wago etc.
Yes we all, sometimes, do temporary things and get away with it but as Ericmark points out then sometimes those temporary two second jobs become non-temporary. It does happen.

Sponsored Links
My simple "No" comment was to keep it short and not babble on.
We all know it should be adequately and securely contained.
we all know it should really be terminated properly, soldered/chock bloc/ wago etc.
Yes we all, sometimes, do temporary things and get away with it but as Ericmark points out then sometimes those temporary two second jobs become non-temporary. It does happen.
Back in the 70's I joined the fair...

Well just for 2 weeks when family friends had a big case of the flu or some other life threatening thing, they were the masters of temporary with all their heavy singles and hardly a sign of a connector in sight. A couple of nails through the wires into a block of wood was not uncommon. At knockdown the run of cable would be coiled as was and at the next rig uncoiled and used, time and time again until it didn't work, a frequent reason being the wood split and fell apart.
But of course this was before danger had been invented
1711056276376.png

Back in the 70's I joined the fair...

Well just for 2 weeks when family friends had a big case of the flu or some other life threatening thing, they were the masters of temporary with all their heavy singles and hardly a sign of a connector in sight. A couple of nails through the wires into a block of wood was not uncommon. At knockdown the run of cable would be coiled as was and at the next rig uncoiled and used, time and time again until it didn't work, a frequent reason being the wood split and fell apart.
But of course this was before danger had been inventedView attachment 337471
Brill comment LOL.

There were quite a few things common in years past that would horrify these days because they too were before danger was invented.
Ohh "Before danger was invented" is a phrase I might well use in future ;)

What I took to doing later in my career was to connect all cores of a disused cable to earth at the supply end.

Sponsored Links
I love danger

This is the big red switch that Father Christmas uses to turn on the village Christmas Illuminations ( 1200 LED 1 Watt 230 Volt lamps ) during the Village Fayre
It is very dangerous to have those exposed terminals switching 230 volt lights and great ( theatrical ) care is taken to protect Father Christmas

big red switch.jpg

The reality is there is a 9 volt PP3 battery in the red box which controls latching relay in the power box

Switch Relay Box Circuit.jpg

I love danger

This is the big red switch that Father Christmas uses to turn on the village Christmas Illuminations ( 1200 LED 1 Watt 230 Volt lamps ) during the Village Fayre
It is very dangerous to have those exposed terminals switching 230 volt lights and great ( theatrical ) care is taken to protect Father Christmas

View attachment 337497

The reality is there is a 9 volt PP3 battery in the red box which controls latching relay in the power box

View attachment 337500
Bernard that is brill. I have a sneaky feeling you bathed in comments from certain quarters as it was being used too you little rascal! Top marks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back