Terminating 25mm earth cable into existing MET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody explain how I terminate the 25mm earth cable out of 25mm SWA into MET on a conventional cut-out.
The cut-out block is maxed out at about 10mm CSA cable??

(can put into isolator first but still needs CSA continuity does it not)

Sponsored Links
Does the swa terminate / gland on to a metal box to earth the armour ?

I'd suggest getting a 25mm eye lug fixing the lug to the box and then using 16mm earth on to the MET.

All the MET blocks I used can't take anything over 16mm, but my knowledge is domestic only so the commercial boys may have a better suggestion.

PS 25mm SWA is lumpy gear what have you used it for ?

I take it that this is standard 7 strand cable?

1. strip back about an inch.
2. take the middle strand and bend out at 90° to the rest of the strands
3. this should divide the remaining strands into 2 bunches of 3.
4. splay these out at about 30-40°
5. wrap the middle core round the base of the strands where you stripped back to.
6. use a screwdriver of a suitable size as an anvile to bend the 2 bunches back to straight, creatinga fork effect.
7. place one side of the fork into one screw hole and the other into the adjacent hole..

Sponsored Links
1. strip back about an inch.
2. take the middle strand and bend out at 90° to the rest of the strands
3. this should divide the remaining strands into 2 bunches of 3.
4. splay these out at about 30-40°
5. wrap the middle core round the base of the strands where you stripped back to.
6. use a screwdriver of a suitable size as an anvile to bend the 2 bunches back to straight, creatinga fork effect.
7. place one side of the fork into one screw hole and the other into the adjacent hole..

Doesn't that leave the 7th strand unterminated? Would it not be better to have 4 in one terminal and 3 in the other?

but then the strands may splay out and rip the insulation..

it also means that there are an uneven number of strands on each side, which in this application doesn't matter, but it might if you're terminating under a screw clamp ( ie like with a fork crimp. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back