Terminating a live cable under floorboards

I seriously doubt that the 'dead end' termination of an unused cable in a JB qualifies as that (per Part 2 definitions).
definitions of electrical equipment, includes wiring systems (a cable and parts which secure and enclose it)
So I would say it does qualify
Whatever, I still contend that the common-sense view should prevail. Can you think of any (electrical) reason why the end of an usused cable needs to be accessible?
Yes 513.1 requires it!

Sponsored Links
I seriously doubt that the 'dead end' termination of an unused cable in a JB qualifies as that (per Part 2 definitions).
definitions of electrical equipment, includes wiring systems (a cable and parts which secure and enclose it) ... So I would say it does qualify
Maybe (per Mr J), although I really don't think it's in the spirit of 'a connection to electrical equipment'.
Whatever, I still contend that the common-sense view should prevail. Can you think of any (electrical) reason why the end of an usused cable needs to be accessible?
Yes 513.1 requires it!
You think that's an electrical reason (which is what I asked)?!

Returning a bit more to topic, this little exchange all started because you wrote:
Cage Clamp Wagos (ones with orange lever) terminated in a Wago Box with MF logo on it... the push fit ones are probably also acceptable
Push-fit Wagos certainly don't bear an 'MF' symbol, but I don't have any cage-clamp ones to hand to look at - do they have the symbol? Wago Boxes obviously don't bear such a symbol - but they couldn't, really, since there's no telling what people might put inside them! The Wago Application Guide appears to say that all these connectors are required to remain accessible to comply with BS7671. In fact, I've yet to see anything other than the Ashley/Hager J803/J804 which bear the MF symbol - have you seen anything else?

Talking of which, are Wago related to Ashley/Hager? Apart from colour, the terminal blocks in the J803/J804 look remarkably similar to the Wago 862 series!

Kind Regards, John

Returning a bit more to topic, this little exchange all started because you wrote:
Cage Clamp Wagos (ones with orange lever) terminated in a Wago Box with MF logo on it... the push fit ones are probably also acceptable
Not me, your honour!
Whoops, sorry :oops: Even though it wasn't you who wrote it, I'd be interested in hearng any answers that you (as well as Click4) may have to my questions about Wagos.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the 862 series as I have never used them or have any in my kit. After talking to a rep from Wago at a tool fair last year. The general information I received, was that their connectors were not MF, the orange clamped ones are definitely not and only contain the UL mark, which I assume makes it electrically safe.
So not MF unless they have moved on and advanced the product, since my conversation with Wago Rep.

PS: apology graciously accepted ;)
"PBoD you are free to leave the court!"

Not sure about the 862 series as I have never used them or have any in my kit. After talking to a rep from Wago at a tool fair last year. The general information I received, was that their connectors were not MF, the orange clamped ones are definitely not and only contain the UL mark, which I assume makes it electrically safe. So not MF unless they have moved on and advanced the product, since my conversation with Wago Rep.
That's what I thought - although Click4 appeared to think otherwise (hence my questions). I've never personally encountered the 862 series, but the picture in the Wago literature looks the same as the terminal block of an Ashley J804, other than being black in colour.
PS: apology graciously accepted ;) "PBoD you are free to leave the court!"
Thank you, kind Sir!

Kind Regards, John

... After talking to a rep from Wago at a tool fair last year. The general information I received, was that their connectors were not MF, the orange clamped ones are definitely not and only contain the UL mark, which I assume makes it electrically safe. So not MF unless they have moved on and advanced the product, since my conversation with Wago Rep.
That's what I thought - although Click4 appeared to think otherwise (hence my questions).
I've just been looking on the Wago website, and it's quite confusing. If one does a search for "maintenance free" on their site, it takes one to a page of their push-in connectors - but I can see no mention of 'MF' in anything it says about them. I would have thought that the connectors themselves would probably satisfy the requirements for 'MF' - I wonder if it is the fact that they don't come as 'complete JBs' (hence testable as a whole unit) which stops them being 'MF' (the connectors alone, without adequate built-in strain relief, might well not qualify as 'MF')?

In passing, I forgot to say/ask before - can anyone see any sense in the so-called 'colour coding' of the push-in Wago connectors? All the colour indicates is the number of conductors it can take, which is as instantly obvious to the eye as is the colour of the connector! It would, IMO, be much more useful if they made them (all sizes) available in brown, blue G/Y (or green) etc.!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back