Terminating SWA in knockout box outside a plastic CU

I still think that (even taking into account the minor cost of that B20, which would become redundant), it would probably be cheaper to pay for one RCBO and two ordinary (decent brand) oudoor sockets than to buy two (decent brand) outdoor RCD sockets - but maybe I'm wrong.

The other factor is dealing with the 17th edition requirement for the cable to be RCD protected, or buried 50mm deep, or in earthed metal conduit or using cable to BS 8436. My understanding is that that the RCD only protects for up stream faults, so an RCD in the socket outlet is no good for faults in the cable run to the outlet.

Sponsored Links
I still think that (even taking into account the minor cost of that B20, which would become redundant), it would probably be cheaper to pay for one RCBO and two ordinary (decent brand) oudoor sockets than to buy two (decent brand) outdoor RCD sockets - but maybe I'm wrong.
The other factor is dealing with the 17th edition requirement for the cable to be RCD protected, or buried 50mm deep, or in earthed metal conduit or using cable to BS 8436. My understanding is that that the RCD only protects for up stream faults, so an RCD in the socket outlet is no good for faults in the cable run to the outlet.
That would be a relevant factor were it not for the fact (the title of this thread is a clue!) that the cable is going to be SWA all the way back to the CU.

Kind Regards, John

The other factor is dealing with the 17th edition requirement for the cable to be RCD protected, or buried 50mm deep, or in earthed metal conduit or using cable to BS 8436.
Or visible.

My understanding is that that the RCD only protects for up stream faults,
The cable will be up-stream.
The protection is down-stream. :)

so an RCD in the socket outlet is no good for faults in the cable run to the outlet.
That's correct.

Sponsored Links
[
That would be a relevant factor were it not for the fact (the title of this thread is a clue!) that the cable is going to be SWA all the way back to the CU.

Yeah, reading comprehension fail there, and I realized shortly afterwards. However there is in there another option that gets rid of the need to terminate SWA in the plastic CU which is to use BS 8436 flex from the consumer unit to the outside sockets. The viability of which would depend on how much cable will be running outside (I personally like to keep this to zero) and whether conduit would be acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back