Terminating SWA in knockout box outside a plastic CU

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
BUT .... is that SWA with a green and yellow core? Not seen that before.
The 'sheds', and probably others, used to sell blue/brown/G-Y 3-core SWA, but I think that even they now only do brown/black/grey.

If you look at the wiki article on how to terminate SWA ( Here ) you will see blue/brown/G-Y SWA being used.

Kind Regards, John

I guess you've never seen 5 core SWA with a g/y earth? :)
Probably not, given that I've never done any 3-phase SWA wiring - but I suppose the fifth core really has to be G/Y, since I can't think of any other colour for it to logically be.

The only 5-core SWA I've ever used had five white cores!

Kind Regards, John

BUT .... is that SWA with a green and yellow core? Not seen that before.
The 'sheds', and probably others, used to sell blue/brown/G-Y 3-core SWA, but I think that even they now only do brown/black/grey.

If you look at the wiki article on how to terminate SWA ( Here ) you will see blue/brown/G-Y SWA being used.

Kind Regards, John

If you look closely at the above link, you'll see near the beginning there's some green and yellow, brown, and blue sleeving in the picture.

Later on, you see the brown conductor is larger than the blue.

Looks to me like a red, yellow and blue cable. The yellow has been sleeved green and yellow. The red has been sleeved brown. The blue has been left alone.

:cool:

If you look closely at the above link, you'll see near the beginning there's some green and yellow, brown, and blue sleeving in the picture. Later on, you see the brown conductor is larger than the blue. Looks to me like a red, yellow and blue cable. The yellow has been sleeved green and yellow. The red has been sleeved brown. The blue has been left alone.
Yes, on more careful study, I think you're probably right. However, that does not alter the fact that (in the past) I've seen, and used, 3-core SWA with blue/brown/G-Y cores. I've just had a hunt in my cellar to see if I have any scraps of it doen there, but so far unsuccessfully!

Kind Regards, John

You can get 3-core SWA with Brown, Blue and green/yellow cores we use it for streetlighting its supplied by cleaveland cables and has street lighting cable written on the black sheath but i dont suppose that makes any difference.
We get it in 6,10 and 16 mm sizes from stock of them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back