test equipement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will be doing a DIY re-wire soon which will be tested andcertified by the LBAC but i wanted to know hwat equipment i would need to test as i go along to make sure its all going ok?

I have a multimeter, but dont know how useful this will be

any advice or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
To do the tests properly you are looking at up to £500 worth of equipment!
An all in one tester from Fluke or Megger will cost that, see Megger 1502/2 or Fluke 1653 for two good examples, you could buy seperate instruments, but the cost will probably be higher still.
To do checks as you go you will need a low resistance ohmmeter (thats your multimeter), an approved voltage indicator (there are regs for this GS38) to prove live or dead, plus if you want to be thorough, an insulation resistance checker (what most people call a 'megger' (trade name)) and an earth fault loop impedance checker. then you have to test the tripping time of your rcd (mS) I think that should suffice, probably easier to let labc send round a registered spark imo (he's already spent the money on all that kit and this is partly what you pay for when using a reputable tradesman).
If you follow the regs (BS7671) and stick to approved accessories then you wont go far wrong and can leave the testing to labc, by the way to do all this you must be 'competent' (ask about competency and you'll open up a huge can of worms :rolleyes: )
Top tip: use a registered spark.

Dellsmp said:
To do the tests properly you are looking at up to £500 worth of equipment!
An all in one tester from Fluke or Megger will cost that, see Megger 1502/2 or Fluke 1653 for two good examples, you could buy seperate instruments, but the cost will probably be higher still.
To do checks as you go you will need a low resistance ohmmeter (thats your multimeter), an approved voltage indicator (there are regs for this GS38) to prove live or dead, plus if you want to be thorough, an insulation resistance checker (what most people call a 'megger' (trade name)) and an earth fault loop impedance checker. then you have to test the tripping time of your rcd (mS) I think that should suffice, probably easier to let labc send round a registered spark imo (he's already spent the money on all that kit and this is partly what you pay for when using a reputable tradesman).
If you follow the regs (BS7671) and stick to approved accessories then you wont go far wrong and can leave the testing to labc, by the way to do all this you must be 'competent' (ask about competency and you'll open up a huge can of worms :rolleyes: )
Top tip: use a registered spark.

cud i use a multimeter at all to make sure there is no broken wires?

no point me speding £500 quid.

yes, a multimeter on ohms setting will be of use to check loop contnuity and polarity etc, but for anything else something a bit more serious is req'd.
so do the job ,but keep labc informed all the way.

Sponsored Links
Dellsmp said:
yes, a multimeter on ohms setting will be of use to check loop contnuity and polarity etc, but for anything else something a bit more serious is req'd.
so do the job ,but keep labc informed all the way.

i mean i will be doing all work before tails are connected which which one'sof the above will be of use?

anyone got a link of the readings i should be getting when testing?

I am only doing the re-wire as the house is empty and all walls are having to be stipped anyway, and boards will be coming up for alarm and central heating (a few other projects of mine)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back