Test meter recommendation

securespark said:
.......And, where will I find the biggest discount off this brand? WF are not a great discounter, despite F/R being their main stock item.

eBay.

Search results:

this

Example item:

03_2.jpg

Brand new KTS-1630, Ends 21-Feb-04 18:51:25, current high bid is £420, which is pretty good. RS (OK - not the cheapest I know) are asking £1,250 + VAT.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
breezer said:
as i said get the best you can afford, i did find this for you

Yes, I found this, too. Looked a bit 'girly', though, with all those pastel colours. I've had another look at Fluke stuff and more or less resigned myself to spending 109 quid or so on a more 'manly' 111 model (or possibly a T5, after reading FWL's posting).

So, where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to buy these things?

Still pondering what to do.
What will this one do here
that this one won't? this
(apart from emptying my wallet more quickly).
(Oh, and probably last longer - although in five years, technology will have moved on, and we'll probably be doing things differently).

(And, I've just noticed: frequency which could be useful, if not interesting)

I think I'll just give in and buy the Fluke.
All I need to know now is cheapest source of supply.

Handyman said:
Still pondering what to do.
What will this one do here
that this one won't? this
(apart from emptying my wallet more quickly).
(Oh, and probably last longer - although in five years, technology will have moved on, and we'll probably be doing things differently).

The answer to your question is the price. At £12.99 I do think that this meter have fused leads and certainly no be compliant with the regulations.

Do you really think that £12.99 will be a price to pay for a piece of equipment that could save your life?

The Fluke may be dearer, but it will do everything you need, safely and the guarantee is worth it's weight in Gold from them.

Sponsored Links
Now I see a load of Robin RT22 digital test meters on ebay, for 99p each.
here
Add p&p and I could get one of these for under a fiver.
Are these any good??

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would not buy the item.

Firstly the price is simply TOOOOOOOO Low. secondly, if you read the add you question the ability of the seller to understand what they are selling as they cannot even spell something they have copied from the manual.

They do not have fused test leads, the picture clearly shows this, and Robin do not sell items in this country without fused test leads, this means they may have been illegally imported back into the UK and thus the warranty is null and void, but more likely is they are cheap copies that could be dangerous to the user.

Try this

Good meters, all our Guys have them, and you will see it clearly has fused test leads. Excellent price for a quality meter.

Fuse test leads for live testing, although you buy an Avo LCB2000 series meter and no fused leads......most annoying

il78 said:
Fuse test leads for live testing, although you buy an Avo LCB2000 series meter and no fused leads......most annoying

Well that means the meter will not comply with the regs I would think.

my unqualified tuppence worth...

With a fused lead, it is a possibility that you could blow the fuse and then get a negative reading on a circuit which is actually live. In theory???

I guess that for the qualified you need calibrated (and expensive) meters in order to document readings on an installation and you want to protect this investment!

I've never seen measurements recorded on a CU in my life tho!

For my use I have a lovely bit of German kit (can't remember the make) which consists of a probe with a neon indicator and bar indicator for voltage, and heavily insulated lead to the other probe. Also the points on the probe are sharp enough to penetrate the insulation if need be.

And then a cheap digital meter for testing continuity, resistance.

But my advice (for what it's worth!) always test that the tester works first!

Handyman said:
Now I see a load of Robin RT22 digital test meters on ebay, for 99p each.
here
Add p&p and I could get one of these for under a fiver.
Are these any good??

I bought one. BTW - they end up at more than a fiver all in by the time the auctions are done, when I was looking, there were 26 sold over a 2-week period, ranging in price from £11.52 to £30.36, avg £19.90, all plus £3.00 or £3.50 P&P.

Anyway - if it's a fake, it's a bloody good one.

Fused test leads you can buy separately if you really want them.

The main thing that a Fluke or whatever will get you for the extra money is the ability to have it calibrated, and the robustness to survive life in the back of a van. As a DIY-er, you probably don't need either of those things.

i have to agree with ban-all-sheds the meter i found yes it may have "pastel colours" it may nt be durable as a fluke, it may not have calibration certificate, but it works, it is not for the pro, just the diy person, its a reasonable price, but as i also said get the best you can afford. it will be ok for the budget end of the market, this is after all a diy forum.

I'm learning a lot from this posting, things I hadn't thought of, so thanks to all who've contributed. But now, what about this
Seems to have a lot of features (e.g. large digits, back light, thingies to stop you plugging the leads in the wrong holes, practical ranges)

so has the one i first mentioned, choice is yours (dont forget thte one you mentioned is + vat, but as i also said (again) get the best you can afford.

at least being bright pink no one will want to "borrrow it" :LOL:

And Martindale are, AFAIK, a good make. Looks like they might be a happy medium between a cheapie from one of the sheds and a full-on Fluke...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back