The Aquarius.

Sponsored Links
In which case Im surprised Juncker doesnt get them to dock at Dover
Interesting perspective.
Would the current Home Secretary unilaterally refuse landing rights for a ship carrying rescued migrants?
We know the previous Home Secretary would have done so (Amber Rudd) , and the one before that (Theresa May)!
How long would a government last in UK if the Home Secretary was refusing landing rights for ships carrying rescued migrants?

In your opinion.....which as usual is, er, oh yes thats right :LOL:
Troll away downstream, troll......

until you reach the gutter where you belong.

The previous discussion was closed because of trolls like you making nonsensical comments that neither advanced the understanding of the subject or offered any meaningful enlightenment.

Last edited:
The previous discussion was closed because of trolls like you making nonsensical comments that neither advanced the understanding of the subject or offered any meaningful enlightenment

Yes, good point. It was you who got that thread closed.

I didnt post in that thread.

When has any post of yours provided 'meaningful enlightenment' you mostly rant on about assertions, or allegations or some other rubbish o_O

Sponsored Links
Setting maritime law aside for a moment, the simple question is this.

Do more people drown with or without the NGO ships?

If we have 1000 crossing a day of which 800 are rescued, would we still have 1000 attempts knowing that 80% drown.

I genuinely think this is highly organised and people are attempting it in greater numbers because it’s made easier.

Apparently the numbers are way down since the Libyan coastguard got organised.

Italy is saying it would help rescue women and children in distress, however most of these rescued seafarers are men ...youngish men.
So much for gasbag's grasp of the situation:
The Aquarius rescued 630 people while on patrol off the coast of Libya over the weekend, the ship's operators SOS Méditerranée and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said. With more than 120 unaccompanied minors and six pregnant women on board,
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/13/europe/migrant-ship-intl/index.html
And it demonstrates the length to which far-right politicians will go.

Setting maritime law aside for a moment, the simple question is this.
It is good that you ditch your attempts at pseudo legal babble. It was purely a cover to hide your far-right opinions.
You are floundering in your attempt to argue with that pseudo legal babble that migrants should be left to drown in order to deter future attempts. Now you have switched to another tack in order to support your callous opinions.

Do more people drown with or without the NGO ships?
It is not only NGO ships effecting rescues.
On Tuesday morning, a US Navy ship recovered 40 survivors and 12 bodies from a shipwreck off the Libyan Coast. The US is awaiting word as to whether it could transport the survivors to Italy.
Italy has been accused of operating a "double standard" on the issue after an Italian Coast Guard boat carrying 937 rescued migrants was allowed to dock in Catania, Sicily on Wednesday.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/13/europe/migrant-ship-intl/index.html
So it is plain nonsense to argue that NGO rescue ships cause more people to drown!

Apparently the numbers are way down since the Libyan coastguard got organised.
Because, as I have already said, the Libyan coastguard is more of a danger to the migrants than the sea.
Although you happily associate the reduction in migrants attempting the crossing to the Libyan coastguard, meanwhile ignoring all the other factors.

Italy dispatched ships to assist the Aquarius in transporting the migrants o Spain, rather than allowing them to land in Italy.

Last edited:
Yes, good point. It was you who got that thread closed.
I know you think I have mystical powers.
Just how did I manage to get that thread closed, eeyore?

Has your trolling earned you membership of the cc forum yet, after having been kicked out for bringing it into disrepute?
I bet you are just the sort of troll they are looking for. :rolleyes:

I believe Kankerot had the best idea. rescue them, take them back to the nearest safe port. But do not assist them on their quest.

You do understand why an italian flagged vessel would be permitted to dock in an italian port? No doubt you are now an expert on maritime law having read the chapter headings and a few secondary articles carefully avoiding too much legal babble as you go.

I believe Kankerot had the best idea. rescue them, take them back to the nearest safe port. But do not assist them on their quest.
The master of the vessel is free to choose where they consider to be a point of safety.

You do understand why an italian flagged vessel would be permitted to dock in an italian port?
You do understand that under the SOLAS convention and the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) ports have a duty to rescued seafarers?
It may be why the Italian government dispatched 2 vessels to assist the Aquarius in its voyage to Spain, because they were obliged to under the SOLAS convention.

Last edited:
The IMO guidance is more specific:
upload_2018-6-30_19-39-47.png

upload_2018-6-30_19-41-20.png

upload_2018-6-30_19-44-15.png

upload_2018-6-30_19-44-50.png

upload_2018-6-30_19-48-10.png

I believe your pseudo legal babble is well refuted.
It also demonstrates that Italy (or the far-right minister) behaved in a callous and inhumane manner.

Last edited:
No doubt you are now an expert on maritime law having read the chapter headings and a few secondary articles carefully avoiding too much legal babble as you go.

It is a pity you did not read the relevant guidance, conventions and agreements before trying to exploit pseudo legal babble to justify your callous approach to drowning people.

We can go over this a 100 times. They (the NGOs) are not a coordinating authority and they aren’t happening across these boats as part of their other business with a ships log to back up their story. In the majority of cases the coordinating authority will be the libyan coast guard, which they are ignoring.

Can you imagine if you were sinking off portsmouth and I insisted on taking you to France despite the solent coast guard being ready to assist.

Which it does. More so than your zero understanding of the guidance.

Ha ha: you cant state 'in reality' when you mean 'my biased interpretation' :ROFLMAO:

You're the biggest troll there is on here !!!! Continually changing your silly user names ....himmagin walks with turkeys imamartion wannabediy silly sod .......

We can go over this a 100 times. They (the NGOs) are not a coordinating authority and they aren’t happening across these boats as part of their other business
Nobody has suggested that they are.
Are you doing an 'eeyore' now and resorting to claiming I have said something which I have not.
The SOLAS convention makes no differentiation between the purposes or reasons for the boast being where they are, (or indeed the victims reasons for being where they are). They are still obliged to effect a rescue, irrespective of their reason for being there! Italy is flying in the face of the IMO SOLAS convention by refusing to accept rescued people, irrespective of the nationality of the boat that has effected that rescue.
Although the convention does make some allowance for some types of craft to be excused form effecting a rescue, e.g. military and pleasure craft.

In the majority of cases the coordinating authority will be the libyan coast guard,
The coordinating authority is the Rome based center. That center passes the information to the Libyan coastguard, but, in some instances, not to the dedicated rescue ships, to prevent then from effecting the rescue. That also might fly in the face of the convention!.

Can you imagine if you were sinking off portsmouth and I insisted on taking you to France despite the solent coast guard being ready to assist.
Now that your pseudo legal babble has been soundly refuted, you are grabbing at and distorting arguments now to disguise your callous approach to drowning people.
If I were off Portsmouth, drowning, I would probably be eternally grateful for being rescued from the sea, and would hardly be in a fit state to care about where I was going as long as it was a point of safety, and as long as it was not the Libyan coastguard!
It is not a comparable analogy because the Libyan coastguard is not considered to be a place of safety.

A better analogy would be: would the UK refuse to allow a Filipino ship to dock, carrying rescued people from off the coast of France, on the basis that they should have been landed in France?
I think the Home Office minister that made that decision would topple the government of the day!
And he/she would never be re-elected anywhere!

Actually, with the current state of the NHS, I would probably be very grateful to be taken to France where their medical system is considered to be the best. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back