The Plumbers Nowadays!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Shutpa

Chickened out replacing a towel warmer myself so called in a guy I found online. I actually had fitted the brackets to the wall and the only thing he had to do was connect the valves to towel warmer using a couple of short pieces of chrome pipe supplied and cut to size by me.Quoted £40 and I said fine and he spent almost an hour fitting 4 compression nuts and downing the young plumbers of today. "They cant handle lead joints. They throw in plastic pipe whenever they can and have no pride in their work". He went on and on until the nuts were fitted and said we would would have a coffee before he checked the radiator for air. I went to use the toilet and then asked how he was going to remove the ring spanner from the pipe connecting the thermostat to the radiator. He just exploded and with a face like beetroot, picked up his tools and stormed out. Hasn't come back for his cash or his money so I dont know where I am. These older plumbers! I ask you.

Sponsored Links
The simple solution for you or him is to use an angle grinder to cut off the spanner!

Or the long way of draining and removing it.

I would say that he was far too cheap too but monkeys and peanuts!

I don't think that age was relevant. I am sure a younger person could have done that just as well too!

Tony

Decided to remove the spanner myself, shut down the valves and went to open the 'drain valve' which had been attached to the feed. It no longer is. For a reason that is completely beyond me, he had taken out this valve and replaced it with a a piece of pipe.
I have now drained the radiator, removed the spanner, replaced the draining valve and connected up the radiator and all is ok ( I think).
But what do I say if he comes back for his cash and spanner?

Sponsored Links
He tried hard, did something stupid and was embarrassed!

But he still did the job.

My advice is that you should be nice to him, phone and invite him to come for his spanner and the £40 ( which was too cheap anyway! ).

Tony

My advice is that you should be nice to him, phone and invite him to come for his spanner and the £40 ( which was too cheap anyway! ).Tony

I had intended to do just that but just phoned and he said that if I could post the spanner to him he would forget about the charge. Will be posting the spanner and a cheque for for £30, so he'll be happy and so will I.
BTW, he is non-vat reg'd. and the £40 included the call out charge and the first hour.

But he still did the job.

My advice is that you should be nice to him, phone and invite him to come for his spanner and the £40 ( which was too cheap anyway! ).

It was you, wasn't it, Tony?

:LOL:

Hope he puts the money towards some decent tools. Don't think that ring spanners are much good for normal plumbing. I don't carry any in my bag anyway.

Ring spanners do have many uses.

But its the six sided ones and not the stupid 12 sided ones which are useful.

Often open ended ring spanners are useful too if of good quality.

Tony

Combination spanners they're called tony. I've got a full set of them in my box.
I've never trapped one on a fitting like that though. :LOL: :LOL:

yet !! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back