Thermostat Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

sorry urgent question. Just replacing faulty thermostat on Megaflow HE DD immersion heater. From enclosed wiring diagrams it seems that original installer might have wired neutral and live around the wrong way. Unit HAS been working fine for 3 years. Should I wire as per Heatrae's enclosed diagram, or as it was before. Or is this why it has failed? I think.....

Many Thanks,
learnt loads here, this is my first post
Graeme

Sponsored Links
check the wiring at the other side to make sure it is correct

The second (upper Boost) immersion is wired the 'wrong' way around as well...
I will check at timer,

Wiring in the timer unit is correct,

Would system actually work the wrong way around....sorry if this is an obvious question?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there is no reason why it wouldn't work with the thermostat wired in the neutral side as it still makes/breaks the circuit, it just means the element is always at live potential.
Afaik thermostats, as with any switch, should be wired in the Live conductor side of the circuit.

Is the Earth Bonding etc in place and up to standard? - especially on this installation.

Are both flexes fed from a 13amp Switched Fused Connection Unit with a 13amp fuse in them?

If the installer miswired one part, it's well worth checking the whole job.

Yes, they are earthed correctly,
And fed from a fused connection unit, Horstmann Electric 7.

I will get it checked asap...

Thanks to all for advice. I have to wait until midnight to see if the economy 7 kicks in again...

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back