thermostatic shower mixer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me any ideas with this problem. I fitted a bristan prism thermostatic mixer valve about 3 years ago,it is fitted onto a combi system,oil fired grant combi 70. Up to now it has had 2 replacement cartridges due to developing a low temperature on the shower outlet. Each time this happened,changing the cartridge solved the problem and the shower gave the expected temperature. The customer has just phoned me tonight to tell me that the problem is back again-this is about a year since I last changed it. Last time I spoke to the technical people at bristan they said to manually adjust the maxtemp. which I did but it was still too cool. Does anybody have any ideas why this would keep happening in what is supposed to be a good quality mixer valve? The bristan shower units have got a 5 year guarantee on fauty parts and they have changed it with no bother the last two times but the customer is starting to lose faith and I'm getting fed up of going back to it. It is in south wales and the water in this area is soft.

Sponsored Links
Almost the same reply I posted to a different post.

I'm in the same boat. Every 6 months approx. our prism goes cold. Bristan originally suggested limescale was the problem but when we pull it apart no limescale is visible but the moving 'washer' end has stuck hard against the main body of the cartridge. When we free it up the shower works properly again.. until the next time!

I spoke to Bristan again today, who told me that nobody else was having these problems! The chap also said limescale should not be a problem "in so short a time". He offered to send a new cartridge, or to replace the valve with an Artisan which is the only bar valve they do with a different cartridge.

But I, like your customer, am now losing faith - I don't believe a shower that jams every few months is fit for purpose. It will become very costly when the warranty is up, and I bought this expensive valve as,like you, I believed it would be 'quality'. I am now wondering how many other people are having this problem. Maybe Bristan will also be willing to replace your customer's unit? Unfortunately the Artisan is not an option for
me.

Caro

There's a new housing development near us that suffers with this problem. Some of the houses are a couple of years old now and are starting to give trouble.
Have been to one customer who's had a new cartridge for a bristan bar shower every 3 or 4 months due to it running cold. Managed to get it free from bristan each time so far and keep the old cartridge. Can always try get them going again when the free ones stop coming.
Each time i swap it i check filters, flush the pipes then refit. Still happens.

I think it's a very precise piece of kit, too precise maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back