Think my pumps poorly - can you confirm??

jackthom: Well spotted! - the pump body doesn't seem to overheat now. So: I've just switched the elec off, disconnected the wiring @pump and put an ohm meter across live and neutral. Result= 100ohm resistance. So, assuming I'm measuring the right thing, not open circuit right now. BUT, does the capacitor also bridge live/neutral? - could I be testing its resistance rather than the, possibly opencircuit, electromagnet wiring?

Andy: I've hesitated over that. Previously when I've replaced components in old plumbing, I've ended up replacing a lot more than intended as standards have changed, new things don't fit, aren't really compatible etc. As far as I can see "Grundfos Multihead type G p/n 59506180" pumps aren't available any more...

Sponsored Links
jackthom: Well spotted! - the pump body doesn't seem to overheat now. So: I've just switched the elec off, disconnected the wiring @pump and put an ohm meter across live and neutral. Result= 100ohm resistance. So, assuming I'm measuring the right thing, not open circuit right now. BUT, does the capacitor also bridge live/neutral? - could I be testing its resistance rather than the, possibly opencircuit, electromagnet wiring?

100Ω is too high and no the cap doesn't bridge live and neutral on its own it is in series with another winding. you will only measure "resistance" across the cap while it is charging anyway, your pump is kaput fit a new one

Matt

Matt, Thanks! Sounds definitive.

Ref my response to Andy above : "As far as I can see "Grundfos Multihead type G p/n 59506180" pumps aren't available any more...". Which pump do you think I should use as (an exact fit) replacement?

Should I be checking anything else eg the electronics control box, after a pump burnout like this?

I haven't got the specs to hand but most likely an alpha2
but you may still be able to get a hold of a ups 15/60 , wilo gold rs60] or other equivalent from somewhere if your lucky
you will have to change the whole body not just the head though
Matt

Sponsored Links
Matt, Your mail crossed with me ordering this http://preview.tinyurl.com/mrxvd25 , which I'm assured by Mr Parker of Parker Pumps Ltd will fit, has 5y Warranty, and be here asap.. The wilo looks a quality product.. perhaps I should have waited. Thanks anyway.

Have bunged everybody who helped a Thanks (incl Mr Tony "RTFM" Agile). This is a good Board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back