Thorn back boiler - can someone explain..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice ? I have just moved into a house with a Thorn back boiler that seems about 100 years old. There is an ugly 70s style fire called a 'Housewarmer' attached to it in the living room. Our hot water is scolding but we can only fill one bath before we run out. The radiators are lukewarms somedays, boiling the next - no two days are the same. I have checked and the radiators don't need bleeding. Also ( pardon my ignorance here) but I can't turn the radiators up or down . There is a valve with a screw in it but when I unscrew it I can't get the valve to move and so radiators are on in rooms we don't use. Also are we supposed to leave the water switched on all the time or is this costing us a bomb ? Also the whole thing makes a racket - a sort of whoosing sound behind the chimney - which I'm sure is normal - just annoying
!!
What we would like to know is:

Is there anything we can do to improve the above with the present system ?

If we install a combi boiler instead will this improve things or will we need to replace all the radiators too ? ( we are trying to persuade our landlord to replace things so need to give him options)

Can we replace the ugly fire in the interim or is this connected to the whole thing and can't be replaced?

Any info would be gratefully received as I know absolutely nothing and have never had central heating until now. Also I don't want a nasty gas bill because of an ancient system.

Thanks so much.

JC

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a motorised valve capable of either (a) allowing the central heasting to work or (b) switching between HW and CH or both, then you may have a manual valve (summer valve) somewhere - normally in the airing cupboard. Try and locate this and see if it works. If it doesn't just check to see if you taps are still working. Better yet, ask your landlord.

As to your other questions:-

(1) If I where the landlord I wouldn't install a combi boiler just because someone asked for one. In the unlikely even he agrees, you would not need to change the rads. It would be wise to fit TRVs though and a room stat.

(2) You cannot remove the firefront. It is an integral part of the apparatus. It is not very likely that you will be able to fit a more attractive model as I don't think anything built in the 70's was even passably good looking - just think back to the Austin Allegro / Marina etc etc.

The wooshing noise could well be boiler overheating. Turn it off and get proffesional help.

Syatem can be improved by converting to fully pumped and installing room stat, some TRVs and cylinderstat.

Installing a combi will open a can of worms unless the whole system is to be upgraded to accept higher working pressure. Do not expect present flow rate (poor as it may be) of hot water unless a BIG combi is selected. But they are a lot more expensive.

The firefront CANNOT BE REMOVED. Fire front is special for the boiler.

If I were you, I would ask the landlord for a gas safety report. This boiler (in its present stat- whoosing and what not) may burn you if it is overheating, or kill you if it has not been serviced (carbonmonoxide etc)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - see new post - What to buy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back