Thoughts on this system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First post here although I have been trawling the forums for information recently. I am hoping that I can ask a couple of questions of the security experts reading this, or indeed any knowledgeable DIY-ers!

So basically a very common story - I have moved into a new build, which is pre-wired for an alarm. The developer did offer to fit an alarm however there wasn't a whole load of supporting information offered so I have concluded to do it myself. I'm electrically competent but obviously don't have the product knowledge that any time in the industry will get you.

The system I am proposing to install comprises:

1 x Texecom Premier Elite 24 metal casing
1 x door contact (already fitted by the developer)
4 x PIRs
1 x Texecom Odyssey 1 Sounder

There is wiring for a panic button however since that's in youngest daughters room (bizarrely!) I think I will leave that not connected for now.

So - my questions:

1. Does this seem a reasonable system? What if any improvements would you make? (initially it will be configured bells only - I know how limited this can be but its is better than nothing and I can add a com module later!)

2. We've got two cats. One PIR faces the stairs. I've been reading that the Bosch Blueline Tri-tech Gen2's are the PIRs to go for in this kind of circumstance. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

All advice and comments are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mark :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I had read that in several places. However! :eek: If you read Bosch's blurb (and I appreciate it is just blurb) it says:

"When pet immunity is turned on, the detector can distinguish between signals caused by humans and signals caused by pets. It ignores signals caused by one or two pets up to 20 kg (45 lb) or numerous rodents."

So I was hoping that these detectors wouldn't just be pet immune by virtue of being pointed upwards slightly (or having the lower detection window masked). The text seems to indicate the PIR can differentiate (presumably based on physical size).

Have you used these particular PIRs before? I am wondering what they are like in real life usage. Or if there are any better 'pet immune' ones available, what are they? Or equally am I chasing something which doesn't exist?!

Ok but never face a pet pir at stairs. It won't work....
sparkymarka is an experienced engineer and knows what he is talking about, never mind the manual.

Ok to do IF, you ALWAYS restrict the cat to the utility room when the alarm is set (on).

You WILL have false activations if the detector is looking at the staircase in any way and the cat has the run of the house.

Sponsored Links
IF, you ALWAYS restrict the cat to the utility room when the alarm is set (on).

Obviously not a cat owner then, we soon learn not to restrict them to any room - a trapped cat is a poo all over the place cat.

Ok, thanks guys. I was just trying to determine whether to believe the hype or not. 'Not!' seems to be the answer :D

This may require a bit of a re-think then as the layout of the house doesn't really lend itself to securing the cats out of the way.

The text seems to indicate the PIR can differentiate (presumably based on physical size).
They "differentiate" using the theory that a pet gives out less thermal energy than a human being. However a pet that is very active and is thus warmer than normal may be mistaken for a human.

I am a key holder and at least one false alarm in that house was a frenzied cat triiggering a so called "pet friendly" PIR.

Well positioned break beam sensors can provide the same intruder detection function as a PIR ( better in some cases ) and be immune to false alarms due to pets. The down side is that more wiring is needed.

Ok, thanks. So accepting that no pet friendly PIR is perfect, which ones in people's opinions are the best/optimal/least likely to false detect? The house is pre-wired, I'm not sure I'd want to run extra cabling for beam sensors.

the tri tecs are fine as long as you don't fit where the pets can get close to the detector, for example don't fit above a fridge in the kitchen where a cat may get on the top of. as long as the pet cant get within a 1m you should be fine.

I agree. The Bosch Bluelines are good. They assume that anything high up is a person so make sure that the pet can't jump up infront of the detector - as Sparkymarka says.

I have been known to mask off all the PIR lenses on one side of the detector to allow pets to go upstairs but it's a bit hit-and-miss and not to be recommended! ;)

IF, you ALWAYS restrict the cat to the utility room when the alarm is set (on).

Obviously not a cat owner then, we soon learn not to restrict them to any room - a trapped cat is a poo all over the place cat.
Had a cat/s all my life, what I said still stands. Sorry I didn't mention a cat flap, I took that as read.

Most Pet PIR's assume that the Pet will be on the floor, pointing one at the stairs is a no no cos as the climb the stair they will fool the PIR into thinking that the cat is in fact a cat burglar!! as the cat or hot spot will start to register the upper levels of the detector ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back