Three way junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, There is a cable running from fusebox to a single socket mounted in a building I use, I am wondering if it is possible to split this cable along theway and run another cable off it for another socketpoint in another part of the building. is this even possible?

Or would the safest option be to run another full run from the fusebox? (this would prove hard due to the distances..)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends on a number of factors including:
What is the size of cable
What is the size of fuse protecting it
What is the characteritic of the supply
What is the the lenght of the run out to the new socket
What sort of cable will you use to do the extension
What sort of junction box
Where will the junction box be situated

There's more but lets start with the easy ones first

As well as those easy questions, there are these - even easier in fact, but important:

Hi there, There is a cable running from fusebox to a single socket mounted in a building I use.
Is this building your home?
Somebody else's home?
Do you own it?
Do you rent it, or rent it out?
Is it a place of work?
Is it a building open to the public?
Is it premises subject to any form of licensing?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for being so sketchy on details. It is a shed/workshop and I own it, the cable runs through a loft to a socket in a room below, what I was hoping to do was split the cable in the loft and run another socket off it while keeping power going to the existing socket.

It is three core cable currently feeding the socket, running from a mains box which is fed via three phase power ( I have welders off it) the length of the run to the new socket would only be around 10foot using the same type cable as currently feeding the existing socket. I will go and check the amp on the existing line in the mainsbox and report back.(AFAIK it is a c20)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back