Tile edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help.

Had an ensuite fitted prior to carpet in bedroom. Now bedroom carpet in place, unsure how to finish edge.

Normally I would expect one of the 'Z' trims for carpet/tile would be perfect, but this won't fit under the door currently.
Tiling was done on WBPly, so raised the tile level.
I could plane the door down and then the Z strip would fit, but this may create a big gap under the door from the bedroom. :confused:

Any ideas anyone?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Just a pity you didn't fit a neat hardwood threshold between the two rooms before you boarded and tiled the floor. You could have neatly champhered the threshold edge on the bedroom side, and kept the finished tiled floor level, "very slightly" below the other edge.

Just a pity you didn't fit a neat hardwood threshold between the two rooms before you boarded and tiled the floor. You could have neatly champhered the threshold edge on the bedroom side, and kept the finished tiled floor level, "very slightly" below the other edge.

Hi Roughcaster!
No end to your talents - not just plastering! ;)

Sounds good, but unfortunately bit late now :confused:
Maybe I should have discussed with builder first.

I was wondering if there are any chrome/silver 'L' sections maybe that could be glued/bonded over the tile edge. The carpet seems better completely flat. Room is only occasional use.

why not just plane the door down at an angle similar to that of the Z-bar ?

will clear the tiles and bar but no un-sightly gap from bedroom when the door is closed. A bit more fiddly to be sure but nothing an electric plane won't sort out in 15-20 minutes:cool:

Sponsored Links
When tiling, its usually inevitable you have to remove some from the bottom of the door, especially if the floor’s over boarded rather than replaced. As for creating a gap under the door, it’s best to have one to ensure your extract fan (assuming you have one!) works efficiently; if air cant get in with the door shut, your fan will be trying to create a vacuum in the en-suite; result no air flow.

I usually use a hardwood threshold plate with tiles as I think they look more classy than anodised aluminum.

Hi gents. Apologies for the delay.

why not just plane the door down at an angle similar to that of the Z-bar ?

will clear the tiles and bar but no un-sightly gap from bedroom when the door is closed. A bit more fiddly to be sure but nothing an electric plane won't sort out in 15-20 minutes:cool:

It sounds a good suggestion. I have access to an electric planer, so will go this way.

When tiling, its usually inevitable you have to remove some from the bottom of the door, .... As for creating a gap under the door, it’s best to have one to ensure your extract fan (assuming you have one!) works efficiently; if air cant get in with the door shut, your fan will be trying to create a vacuum in the en-suite; result no air flow..

Yes, there is an extractor fitted, so will make sure I keep enough gap for efficient operating conditions for the fan.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back