Tiling kitchen - socket plates ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to start tiling at the back of the work surfaces in the kitchen.

I have recently re-wired (and re-plastered) all the power sockets from surface mount to flush mounted.

What is best practice - to tile up to the sockets and grout around or remove the socket plates and tile to allow the plates to be flush mounted on top of the tiles ??
I think that the latter may look neater and appreciate that this will need a bit of careful cutting but don't mind doing that.

Any advice regarding this will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ugh! said:
or remove the socket plates and tile to allow the plates to be flush mounted on top of the tiles ??

Hi,
Think the latter would be the better option, your cutting need not be as so precise, the socket plates will sit on the tiles creating a much neater fitted look, you might need to buy some longer socket screws to compensate for the loss in the tile width.

Ugh!:

I'm not sure if the duplex receptacles that you have in England are the same as we have here, but ours have a pair of "ears" at each end that is supposed to fit OVER the wall surface. You do not want to tile over those ears since that would create problems in future if and when you want to replace the duplex receptacle.

So, maybe shut the power off, and remove that duplex receptacle from the box. Tile up to the box and then re-install that duplex receptacle into the box with those ears on the top surface of the tiling. That will ensure that you can always replace the receptacle in future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back