To Y plan or not ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have the following components in my central heating system; acl switchmaster 600 prog, stelerad boiler (not sure what model), honeywell T630 room stat, honeywell L46something cylinder stat, red pump and a honeywell v4043 2 port zone valve.

I am assuming I am the proud owner of a C plan system. However the wiring doesn`t support this assumption......

The hw on signal leaves the prog, goes through the cylinder stat to both the pump and boiler on.

The ch on signal leaves the prog, goes through the room stat to the valve, and nowhere else. The valve is not connected to anything else (the orange and grey wires have been snipped).

This effectively means to get central heating I have to run a load of hot water off (guess whose job that is in the morning!)

The previous tenants (never buy a rented house !!!) had the the cylinder stat turned up to max to ensure a constant hw demand.

I have tried to reconfigure the wiring but the other problem I have is that there is only one cable into the boiler and pump, in otherwords only one live (on) signal to both devices. Also the zone valve I have only has 5 wires (inc earth) and not 6 wires as shown in the honeywell C plan diagram.

:cry: Sooooo, what should I do ? I have been reading that upgrading to a fully pumped system is more efficient and gives better control.

Is this a straightforward procedure? What is the ballpark cost to get a clever central heating chap in to do it ?

Any comments/suggestions/donations would be greatly appreciated !!

Many thanks (for reading this far).

Lj

Sponsored Links
Is your hot water cylinder a primatic cylinder ?

(or do you have the normal arrangement of 2 cold water cisterns in the loft, a big one and a little one)

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what the cylinder is, but I do have an expansion tank in the loft.

Also, to confuse matters more, I dug out the boiler handbook (stelrad ideal w rs450) and it looks like it is connected fully pumped with 22mm pipework, not 28mm req for gravity hw. Now I really am lost......

Thanks

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back