toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these cisterns that is close to the bowl and does not have an overflow. Instead the overflow goes directly into the bowl which has now started to constantly run slowly into the bowl nonstop. How can I stop this from occuring please? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Try adjusting the float valve so that it cuts the flow off 1 inch below the overflow level. :D

But how can you adjust the valve when the arm is made from plastic not from copper. The whole fitting is just a plastic arm with a round float at the bottom?

Depending on what type of float valve you have , you can either unscrew the screw out a bit more or if it is a small float on a stick you can screw it up or down to change the cut off level. :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help....I have just realised that the arm down to the float is notched out and can be twisted up or down(in this case down to close off the valve sooner). Sorry for being a pest but its nice to know that someone out there is prepared to help....thank you.

Problem could be wear on rubber washer/diaphram in valve depending on type. If extra leverage from moving float doesn't work next step is replacing rubber washer.

Yes I have moved the arm to its final notch but it is still leaking....can I buy a washer without having to replace the whole lot....This cistern is only two years old?

It may not be float valve or a level of water problem. Is it actualy overflowing over the top of the pipe in the middle of the flush? - have a look when it is running. If it was overflowing it would be quite a deluge after a while.
It's more likely the flush valve. It may have something stuck in the valve or the rubber seal (large washer) is worn out. You can usually twist and get the whole flush out depending on the make (turn the water off first).

What does it look like?

The old syphons didn't have this problem.

See if you can identify your valve on

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/120.asp

If so you will know what washer diaphram you need.

You could try dismantling your valve (turn off water first !!!) in case it has debris in it although some have filters in them.

yes it looks like the torbeck side inlet and the water is actually trickling over the inlet on the top of the arm after the system has completed its flush....Any offers please?

A torbeck is a very easy valve to rewasher but has its own uniqiue washer.It has a small pin attatched that has to be replaced correctly so take note as u dismantle it. isolate the water unscrew thw blue nut & remove arm & blue nut , pick out the large black washer noting the position of the pin replace then reasemble. the washer will be available at a plumbers merchants but not sure about a diy shed.

Thanks very much for your help, the washer has been replaced and everythings back to normal. If that cistern is a sign of progress...bring back the penny farthing???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back