Toilet drainage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Any advice much appreciated.

One of the two toilets in my house wasn't working properly - when flushing the water was either almost draining from the pan completely or backing up and not flushing the paper away at all.

So, having worked out there's nothing wrong with the pan, I've removed the pan in the belief there's a blockage in the soil pipe.

I was going to use drain rods but the pipe drops about a meter before bending and the rods won't make it around the bend. Have also tried jetting the water. Would also try coming at the blockage from the other way but the pipes are too long from the only area I have access. Have checked the drain in my driveway where this pipe eventually leads and that's all clear and the other toilet, bath and sinks in the house seem to be working fine.

One question I have is this: when I look down the waste pipe I can see water. The water is right where the pipe bends, so about a meter down.

Does this definitely suggest there is at least a partial blockage as I thought under normal circumstances, with everything draining as it should, there wouldn't be any water in this pipe. Is this right?

Any other advice would be great. Happy to call a plumber in if need be but always try to do jobs like these myself first if I can. Thinking of maybe trying chemicals next but if it's an object down there they ain't going to work and if it's a partial blockage then I'm thinking the chemicals will just run past whatever's there.

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
The soil pipe should be dry....do you have a pressure washer, or have access to a Karcher one?
Karcher do a 7.5m jetting lance that fits all K series washers.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all

It's a downstairs toilet - manhole in the drive is clear.

Found where the pipe exits the house and was able to thread the rod through. Think the rod is about 2 or 3 feet short of the length of my house and while a tiny bit of debris came out, nothing major. So I reckon the blockage has to be within a couple of feet of the bend once the pipe drops a meter from the toilet.

I had jetted it before but not with that attachment John so I'll see if I can get one.

As it happens, when I stuck a normal hose down the pipe so I had a constant stream of water I could watch at the exit from the house the pipe then started backing up, so definitely a blockage somewhere. Will see if I can get that attachment.

Thanks

Ben

Thanks all

It's a downstairs toilet - manhole in the drive is clear.

Found where the pipe exits the house and was able to thread the rod through. Think the rod is about 2 or 3 feet short of the length of my house and while a tiny bit of debris came out, nothing major. So I reckon the blockage has to be within a couple of feet of the bend once the pipe drops a meter from the toilet.

I had jetted it before but not with that attachment John so I'll see if I can get one.

As it happens, when I stuck a normal hose down the pipe so I had a constant stream of water I could watch at the exit from the house the pipe then started backing up, so definitely a blockage somewhere. Will see if I can get that attachment.

Thanks

Ben

You may as well have a try with a conventional hose Ben....after all, the blockage is likely to be soft :eek:
Drains worst enemy....3 ply loo paper / anything female sanitary apparel / condoms / incontinence pads / non soluable bum wipes :mad: Dammit its us who have to clean the darn things out!
John :)

Oh FFS!

Left the hose on for half an hour or so and the water is no longer sitting in the pipe, so hopeful the blockage has gone!

Was also rodding the pipes from the other end. Last attempt, the final piece of the rod with the bit on the end came off - and by the looks of it it has come off about 40 feet into the pipe, with no access from the other side.

Any further advice? I've tried attaching a hook to the remainder of the rod (screwed tight!) but no joy.

Could try the power washer from the top of the pipe but doubt it'll shift it given it has the attachment on it which will weigh it down.

:( :oops: :(

There are ways to retrieve lost rods, but working 'blind' makes the job more challenging. TBH by the time you've messed about and/or bought more kit that may or may not work to try and get them out, it's probably time to admit defeat and call someone in. CCTV will locate the rods in order to retrieve them, and will also give you the added benefit of being able to inspect the condition of the pipe.

Leaving the rods in situ isn't an option, material will catch on the end and you'll be back to blocked before long..... :(

Made it in the end! Worked out that if I lifted a slab I'd have access from the other side of the house. Pushed the rods through and also found a huge wad of toilet paper which had been the blockage.

Not sure if saving the cash was worth the blood, sweat and tears mind you.

Thanks for the help and advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back