Toilet overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet has started to overfill. Anyone know how I adjust it? It fills up then keeps going for about 5 minutes. I can see it overflowing into the toilet bowl.
F056E0E5-F3B0-46E0-9D52-115B9C58E6A5.jpeg 5DF40F58-CC58-4E5C-A4B3-7A98D18CF751.jpeg 13A6C00D-1864-46E5-894A-B877A35E3FFD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The red vertical rod will adjust the float valve up and down to shut the valve off earlier. Try twisting the threaded rod and see if the float level can be adjusted down.

Adjusting the red bar seems to have no effect. I can get a replacement part for around £12 but I’m not sure I can get it in or out the small square hole in the front of the cistern. It’s all boxed in and would need to remove sealant and possibly a tile to access from above.

Sponsored Links
In that case the problem may be around the seal at the base of the flush valve, causing the water in the cistern to gradually escape.

Blup

There are two possible causes for overflowing:
1. The inlet valve is not closing, so water continues to come into the cistern and goes down through the internal overflow into the pan.
2. The outlet (flush) valve is not re-seating properly after flushing, allowing water to run straight through into the pan.

Looking at your picture, I'd suspect 1. The valve is operated by the white plastic float attached to the red plastic operating rod. (1st picture, left hand side). The float operates inside the larger white plastic "box" below it, and it looks as if the float is rubbing on the box, or rather on the accumulated limescale between the two. This would explain why it lets by, but stops after a few minutes, because the extra leverage of the higher water level may be enough to overcome the frictional resistance. So I'd suggest:

A. Clean float and the box in which it operates. Try filling the cistern with hot water and adding a limescale remove like Kilrock (Nasty fumes, so open window / good ventilation).
B. If that doesn't work, see if the water level is rising to the point where is goes down the internal overflow.
C. If so, replace the diaphragm washer in the black part immediately below the red operating rod. Or replace the inlet valve.
D. If not, suspect the flush valve. Will probably come out of its bayonet fitting at the base of the cistern by turning anti-clockwise (looking down at the top) 1/8 or 1/4 turn. Check the sealing washer, and clean / replace as necessary.

If you need new parts they will probably be specific to the cistern you have, so you'll need to try and identify make and model. I'm afraid I don't recognise it.

Thanks. It looks like the valve isn’t shutting the water off, it’s tgen overflowing into pan but does eventually stop. I managed to get the valve part out and give it a clean but still doesn’t seem to stop the water no matter how I adjust the red rod. I’ve ordered a new part for £11 so will see if that helps

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back