Toilet suggestions

We have an Ideal Concept downstairs which is very good, and was installed by me 3 years ago. At work however we have the same, and they are just awful. Will block if you look at them.

So I'd definitely look at the plumbing/outlet connections.

We also have a Roca Dama-n upstairs, which uses very little water (lot less than the Ideal) and is again very good. It's got a clamshell cistern which is very well designed, completely different to a normal cistern.

Looking at your photo, it appears the black pipe comes up at an angle out the wall. This may be kicking up the pan connector, causing it to back flow into the pan. Perhaps try shortening it, fit a new long pan connector, and see if that makes a difference?

Sponsored Links
OK, a photo of the inside and back .... and if possible, a short video ....

IMG_20160811_180725850.jpg IMG_20160811_180800609.jpg

video of flush not possible ....

I turned the twisty thing at the top to alter the amount of water than can enter, Did not make any difference, but did not try too much.,

Sponsored Links
+1. That pan connector is restricting the flow and its the soil pipe behind it in the wrong position which is the problem. As its a loft conversion, is there a void behind the wall? Adjusting the position of the soil pipe may be relatively easy and allow a straight pan connector to be used.

So, the white part is the pan connector, black the soil pipe? I never really looked before - assume the white bit was part of the toilet. So, maybe it would work better if it was the other way round, with no rise before the black pipe? That makes sense.

There is a void behind. But tiles, plasterboard and solid board insulation to get through....

Pic I took when I painted before the tiles were doneIMG_20151101_125230285.jpg

It would be best to remove it, it`s trying to divert the water flow up for a start and the outlet is smaller, no wonder you were having problems.

This does all raise another big question ..... or dilemma.

THe way the builder installed it is not the way I (a complete novice) would have done it. They ran flexi pipes from downstairs hot and cold, and in the void, split them between shower, toilet and basin. Also, there is no cut off. This means that should I ever want to replace shower, toilet or tap, all the water needs to be cut off. Also, I am always a bit wary of these plastic fittings behind closed off walls.

If I had to get a plumber to change the pan connector and potentially move the soil pipe, this might involve taking out a load of wall, and giving the opportunity to bringing in hot and cold pipes from downstairs into the cupboard under the basin, before splitting off direct to shower and loo. Although, thinking while I type, the shower would still need to be fitted to the pipe. It might be a bit ambitious to get copper pipes in, as the route from downstairs goes under the bedroom floor first, I think, and is probably not accessible at all......

What would you do?

It would be best to remove it, it`s trying to divert the water flow up for a start and the outlet is smaller, no wonder you were having problems.

Remove the toilet or the pan connector, or both? Or everything and start again?!?

From your pictures I strongly suspect the soil pipe angle and offset is the problem.

It looks to me that the plumber has used an angled Tee (probably 87.5°), which is why the black soil pipe 'kicks up'. He may also have run the soil pipe over a joist, hence its high position.

I would try to cut the soil pipe off close to the wall using a wood saw (to reduce the kick up), and then fit a straight, but longer pan connector in place of the offset connector that you have now. Pan connectors are readily available from DIY emporia.

If there is easy access to the void behind the walls, (there should be,), you may be able to replace the Tee with a 90° part.

The Osma Soil and Vent manual is well worth printing off and reading, if only to understand which fittings are available and how to use them.

http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/solutions/waste-water/soil-waste/soil-vent-osma.htm

(Go to Downloads, Product and Installation Manual.)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I know this thread is a bit old but I would also like to ask for your suggestions on which toilet brand should I buy next week. I'm planning to replace my old one that already has cracks and is a bit slow flushing, maybe due to being old. I've read articles just like this one and also read from other forums about the TOTO Toilet. Now, I'd like to know the opinion of those who already has it at home to help me decide if it's really the best bet. Is there any one here who already has that kind of toilet at home? Your replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

That looks like an American site.

My opinion still stands above. Dama-N has been very well behaved, and flushes everything. Just make sure you have everything flowing downhill, I.e. the pan outlets are >= the height of the soil pipe, assuming back wall exit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back