too much gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,
my mates combi boiler is usin about 60 quid a day when he has it on ,when not and just gas fire it using hardly nothin , any ideas wat could cause this

cheers

Sponsored Links
£60 a day??? I very much doubt that....

Dave T
Incorporated Engineer, Member of the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers

Then I think...

1) He's paying debt off
2) The meter is faulty
3) The meter has been incorrectly set up by the gas supplier on the tariff - which is updated when he charges his card
4) He has been in his emergency credit for far too long along with having debt on the meter, and as the meter partitions only a set amount for the repayment of debt & emergency credit, but must give some credit for gas, he is having to recoup the money owed on the meter.

He should contact his gas supplier and explain.

No way so long as I have a hole in my backside will any combi use £60 per day.

Dave T
Incorportated Engineer, Member of the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers

Sponsored Links
Tp spend 6o quid a day you'd need a 30Kw boiler running full chat 24 hours a day.

he says the dials go round very quick when boiler is on , and when gas fire is on it goes half the speed

define 'quick'.....
The appliance should be gas rated.

Dave T
Incorportated Engineer, Member of the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers

the numbers r goin twice the speed as they do normally

Dont you realise how useless that comment is? We need real facts!

When was the boiler installed or last serviced?

Were they CORGI registered?

Tony

dont know yet , he has only told me over the phone, goin up on sat cause its in blackpool, and im in manchester, so i was just askin for any ideas cheers

In that case telephone him and ask him to read the meter and again an hour later!

And the installation/service?

Tony

OOI my boiler uses 7 cubic metres per day in winter. which costs about £2.50. It will be interesting to know how many metres your chum uses (ask him to verify that he has a cu metres not a cu feet meter)

£60 of gas in a day would be in the region of 150 cubic metres :eek:

I didn't know you could get that much through the pipe

Does he own a laundrette or a swimming pool? Or has he left the hot tap running?

I didn't know you could get that much through the pipe

Does he own a laundrette or a swimming pool? Or has he left the hot tap running?

A standard domestic meter is rated at about 6 m² per hour so it can take that amount of gas!

However a normal boiler would only take about half of that.

Most launderetes use about 85,000 to 200,000 kWH per annum for water heating.

Swimming pools can take the whole boiler output for 1-2 weeks when heating up the water for the first time. later it reduces considerable and particularly if a thermal cover is used. they can pay for themselves in a year.

Unfortunately many pool installations use a totally undersized heat exchanger and most hardly take half the boiler output.

Smaller outdoor pools cost about £3,0000-£4,000 to heat for the swimming season only.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back