Took my car to kwik fit, driving home and the car cut out and leaking fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That's a very odd one, I must say! And odd for a variety of reasons.

1. If you were replacing an exhaust clamp and you cross-threaded it so that it wasn't tight, I guess that could have been your exhaust noise? However, if the guy from KwikFit cut it off to stop the noise, what did he replace it with? Why did you fit it in the first place? Did he just leave your exhaust with no clamp on that joint? Or did he fit a new clamp and not charge you for it? That's not really in KwikFit's nature!

2. Doesn't that Fiat engine have a cover over the top of it? Did you take the cover off to see the injectors?

3. I think those injectors (certainly many diesels have them) have "leak-off" pipes on the top of them. These are low pressure rubber pipes that all join together and return any fuel that leaks past the injector seals, to the fuel tank. Normally, when the engine is running, there's not much (if any) fuel going through them. However, if you were driving along and the injectors suddenly went open circuit, you'd have pressure in the fuel rail but the injectors wouldn't be opening and closing. I'm not at all sure about this, because I don't know exactly how they work, but is it possible that under those circumstances, you suddenly had a load of fuel with nowhere to go, and it went down the leak-off pipes? If so, is it possible that three of them has cracked / split / leaked where it pushes on to the injector? Is it possible that once the injectors were opening and closing again, there was no fuel going down the leak-off pipes and therefore, the leak stopped?

I realise it's a tenuous theory, but I put it out there in case anyone who knows more about these engines can comment further.

I think those injectors (certainly many diesels have them) have "leak-off" pipes on the top of them. These are low pressure rubber pipes that all join together and return any fuel that leaks past the injector seals, to the fuel tank. Normally, when the engine is running, there's not much (if any) fuel going through them.

Fuel 'leaking off' all the time and returned to the tank is quite normal and happens all the time, except when the electric pump is running, but not the engine. Then the leak off should be minimal and roughly equal from all injectors. To much leak off, means not enough pressure is created in the injector and difficulty starting the engine.

Returned fuel is hot due to the massive pressure it is placed under in the mechanical pump, so has to be cooled before it is returned to the tank, via a fuel cooler unit / small radiator at the back of the car.

Sponsored Links
OK, but do you think it's possible that the sudden disabling of the injectors, to which the OP refers, could have caused them to leak some fuel?

Its only the leak off pipes that could cause a deluge of fuel.....injector seal problems manifest themselves in an oily gunge in the injector wells, initially.
John :)

Maybe after the "3.5 years, 68,000 miles" it just went faulty.
Like many other things on this car.

It was a coincidence that it happened after you had been to Quickfit.

I probably don't remember well, but wasn't the "handbrake car" a Vauxhall?

I probably don't remember well, but wasn't the "handbrake car" a Vauxhall?

Yes and I updated everyone that the problem with that is now solved, it was the return spring that had caused the problem but it's been replaced and all is well with that now.

Now I did what everybody keeps banging on about, took it to a garage and immediately there was a problem 10 minutes after leaving the garage. That is why I do not bother taking it to garages often.
The car actually seems ok since I cleared the codes a second time , it has not cut out since, hasn't leaked any more fuel and the codes haven't returned.

I have had the car for 3.5 years and driven 70,000 miles in it and it has never cut out on me at all and never leaked fuel. It
was strange how these problems suddenly happened 10 minutes after leaving Kwik Fit.

I only took the car in for a free exhaust check and pre mot checks , he found a loose clamp on the exhaust which he cut off with the grinder thus sparks flying everywhere including under bonnet as bonnet was open. the loose clamp was not the source of the noise, the noise in question has been occurring for weeks and seems to be coming from the catalytic converter area. I replaced the exhaust clamp earlier that day and couldn't get old one off so left it and was going to saw it off the next day.

To recap what had happened regarding thread title, I got it back from kwik fit and driving home 10 minutes later the car cuts out, strong smell of fuel inside the car and upon looking there was a puddle of fuel under the injectors.

I know it was not leaking previously as I do daily check under the bonnet and never saw any leaks and there has never been any smell of leaking fuel from this car. Also I only smelled fuel right after getting it back from kwik fit.

Nah, it was no coincidence and I know you would not class it as such had it been your car .

Anyway I did what everybody keeps banging on about, took it to a garage and immediately there was a problem 10 minutes after leaving the garage. That is why I do not bother taking it to garages often.
The car actually seems ok since I cleared the codes a second time , it has not cut out since, hasn't leaked any more fuel and the codes haven't returned.

I have had the car for 3.5 years and driven 70,000 miles in it and it has never cut out on me at all and never leaked fuel. It
was strange how these problems suddenly happened 10 minutes after leaving Kwik Fit.

I only took the car in for a free exhaust check and pre mot checks , he found a loose clamp on the exhaust which he cut off with the grinder thus sparks flying everywhere including under bonnet as bonnet was open. the loose clamp was not the source of the noise, the noise in question has been occurring for weeks and seems to be coming from the catalytic converter area. I replaced the exhaust clamp earlier that day and couldn't get old one off so left it and was going to saw it off the next day.

To recap what had happened regarding thread title, I got it back from kwik fit and driving home 10 minutes later the car cuts out, strong smell of fuel inside the car and upon looking there was a puddle of fuel under the injectors.

I know it was not leaking previously as I do daily check under the bonnet and never saw any leaks and there has never been any smell of leaking fuel from this car. Also I only smelled fuel right after getting it back from kwik fit.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-and-leaking-fuel.553803/page-2#ixzz6Zcw5k7Sq

OK, but do you think it's possible that the sudden disabling of the injectors, to which the OP refers, could have caused them to leak some fuel?
I did what everybody keeps banging on about, took it to a garage and immediately there was a problem 10 minutes after leaving the garage. That is why I do not bother taking it to garages often.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-and-leaking-fuel.553803/page-2#ixzz6ZcwXUumo

It's a Fiat, so anything is possible.
I did what everybody keeps banging on about, took it to a garage and immediately there was a problem 10 minutes after leaving the garage. That is why I do not bother taking it to garages often.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-and-leaking-fuel.553803/page-2#ixzz6ZcwXUumo

That's a very odd one, I must say! And odd for a variety of reasons.

1. If you were replacing an exhaust clamp and you cross-threaded it so that it wasn't tight, I guess that could have been your exhaust noise? However, if the guy from KwikFit cut it off to stop the noise, what did he replace it with? Why did you fit it in the first place? Did he just leave your exhaust with no clamp on that joint? Or did he fit a new clamp and not charge you for it? That's not really in KwikFit's nature!

2. Doesn't that Fiat engine have a cover over the top of it? Did you take the cover off to see the injectors?

3. I think those injectors (certainly many diesels have them) have "leak-off" pipes on the top of them. These are low pressure rubber pipes that all join together and return any fuel that leaks past the injector seals, to the fuel tank. Normally, when the engine is running, there's not much (if any) fuel going through them. However, if you were driving along and the injectors suddenly went open circuit, you'd have pressure in the fuel rail but the injectors wouldn't be opening and closing. I'm not at all sure about this, because I don't know exactly how they work, but is it possible that under those circumstances, you suddenly had a load of fuel with nowhere to go, and it went down the leak-off pipes? If so, is it possible that three of them has cracked / split / leaked where it pushes on to the injector? Is it possible that once the injectors were opening and closing again, there was no fuel going down the leak-off pipes and therefore, the leak stopped?

I realise it's a tenuous theory, but I put it out there in case anyone who knows more about these engines can comment further.

This death trap gets even worse!

Andy

BLAME KWIK FIT THEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! if ihad gone in with your car it would have come out with this same issue !!

YOU ALWAYS TELL ME TO TAKE IT TO A GARAGE AND SO I DID AND THEN THIS HAPPENED, LITERALLY 10 MINUTES LATER !!!!!!

I WILL STICK OT FIXING MY OWN CARS FROM NOW ON I RATE MY WORK OVER MAJORITY OF GARAGES I HAVE BEEN TO , I WILL CONTINUE TO IGNORE YOUR ''ADVICE'' TOI TAKE IT TO A GARAGE, YOU CANREFER TO THIS FOR THE REASON WHY !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back