Took my car to kwik fit, driving home and the car cut out and leaking fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Probably the cat's buggered. When cats break up and start rattling, they can temporarily turn and block the exhaust. That will bring the car to a halt. Start up, cat rattles it’s honeycomb into a position that allows gasses to pass and the engine runs.

if you read the thread I did say in the thread, it comes up with open circuit 1 2 3 4 on injectors which will be the cause of the cutting out.

Anyway It cut out again tonight. I smelled strong fuel inside the car and about 3 seconds later it cut out. it started right back up again and the fuel smell faded and was not visibly leaking fuel from anywhere.
so it seems to drive fine for a day or 2 ( 100 miles ) then it drops some fuel and cuts out immediately afterward, only to fire up again and drive ok for a day or so e.t.c. until it repeats the problem.

basic code reader showing open circuit injectors again.

car drives excellent with plenty of power sounds superb engine wise.

Mot expires October 13,th as mentioned in other thread

Sounds like a short or ECU glitch to me.

hi

I thought maybe too but it leaks fuel right before it cuts out strong smell of it in car then 2 seconds later cuts out. starts right back up fine and smell of fuel disappears sand also there is no visible fuel leaking and it drives ok for about 100 miles then repeats. it drops fuel then immediately cuts out, start it up it stops leaking and repeats again after about 100 miles

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I got to ask.
You worked on your brakes which are a key component of a vehicle and of course you don't want them to fail, but then you take your car to the garage for a little exhaust rattle.
Why did you not jack the car up, and checked yourself?
Surely if you can deal with brakes, you can deal with an exhaust clamp.

I DIDN'T TAKE IT IN FOR AN EXHAUST CLAMP !!!! I SAID IN THE THRE3AD I REPLACED THECLAMP AND THAT THE CLAMP WAS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE NOISE !!!!!!

Apart from the faulty brakes and leaking fuel................................what could go wrong?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Andy

wELL I TOOK YOUR ADVICED AND TOOK IT TO A GARAGE AND THIS SI THE RESULT, SO NEVER AGAIN ! ALL WORK CARRIED OUT BY ME FROM NOW ON WITHIN REASON

Roll on the 13th Oct, hopefully this death trap will be put off the road for all other road users safety.

Andy

I’ve seen bits of the cat in the tailpipe too :eek:
John :)
It cut out again tonight. I smelled strong fuel inside the car and about 3 seconds later it cut out. it started right back up again and the fuel smell faded and was not visibly leaking fuel from anywhere.
so it seems to drive fine for a day or 2 ( 100 miles ) then it drops some fuel and cuts out immediately afterward, only to fire up again and drive ok for a day or so e.t.c. until it repeats the problem.

basic code reader showing open circuit injectors again.

car drives excellent with plenty of power sounds superb engine wise.

Mot expires October 13,th as mentioned in other thread

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-and-leaking-fuel.553803/page-3#ixzz6ZemiGLf8

Roll on the 13th Oct, hopefully this death trap will be put off the road for all other road users safety.

Andy
Not with leaking fuel!!!

Andy

YOU ARTE NOT READING THE POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS NOT LEAKING FUELL !!!!!!

ITY DROPS FUEL CUTS OUT RIGHT AFTER THEN STArts right back up and the leaking immedietely stops, then drives ok for another day or so then repeats. it drops some fuel and cuts out then stops leaking and repeats etc

I don’t like the idea of the engine cutting out for no apparent reason.....do consider replacing the wiring loom to the injectors - it operates in a very hostile environment and is prone to failure. Many engines suffer from this.
As for the fuel smell, I’m at a loss to explain that one if there’s no sign of leakage on the engine.....when this happens again, look for a belch of smoke in the rear view mirror.....seriously!

Or look for a faulty/broken catalytic converter......they do stink a bit when they’re buggered.

I don’t like the idea of the engine cutting out for no apparent reason.....do consider replacing the wiring loom to the injectors - it operates in a very hostile environment and is prone to failure. Many engines suffer from this.
As for the fuel smell, I’m at a loss to explain that one if there’s no sign of leakage on the engine.....when this happens again, look for a belch of smoke in the rear view mirror.....seriously!

engine cutting out for no apparent reason ? does code injectors 1 2 3 4 open circuit not explain why that might be ?
it dropssome fuel then cuts out within seconds afterward, so I see the fuel is related ot the cutting out as they happen seconds between, drops some fuel then cuts out immediately. then starts up with no visible leaks and no fumes smell until about 100 miles later a strong smell of it then the car cuts out, that is the cycle of it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back