Took my car to kwik fit, driving home and the car cut out and leaking fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did take it right back the guy denied any wrongdoing so I will see manager about this to make a record of it
How did you get on with the manager?

Surely you must agree that if there was a physical fault, just clearing the fault codes (what EXACTLY were they?) would not magically fix the physical problem.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How did you get on with the manager?

Surely you must agree that if there was a physical fault, just clearing the fault codes (what EXACTLY were they?) would not magically fix the physical problem.

I was told the manager is away for 2 weeks, the assistant manager was useless and denied all involvement on the issue.

Yes I agree it is strange how the problem appeared then disappeared but it does seem ok now. I cleared the codes for a second time but since then I have driven over 130 miles and the codes have not returned, the car has not cut out. There is no visible leaking from the injectors or around that area.

I you use the excuse that it may have been leaking for a while and I not noticed then No, I do daily checks and have never seen any leaks. also I would have smelled the fuel leaking like I did 2 days ago immedietely after getting it back from kwik fit.

It was just strange how it has never leaked fuel at all and never cut out in the 3.5 years of my ownership , 70,000 miles driven in it . I leave kwik fit after they had a look under the bonnet for pre mot checks ( i was stood well away as had to wait outside ) he had a grinder in his hand flames flying everywhere while bonnet was open ( as he was cutting off an old exhaust clamp )

the codes were open circuit on injectors 1 2 3 4 . Yes my car drives ok, starts as normal in the morning after being parked over night ( would it do that is there was a problem with all injectors ? ) I doubt it personally.

Also been told the engine sounds perfect no noise whatosever to suggest a problem with injectors and was told if the issue did come back it might be a connection problem, something they may have knocked out of place or disturbed.

As of now it literally seems fixed

Sponsored Links
Now I did what everybody keeps banging on about, took it to a garage and immediately there was a problem 10 minutes after leaving the garage. That is why I do not bother taking it to garages often.
The car actually seems ok since I cleared the codes a second time , it has not cut out since, hasn't leaked any more fuel and the codes haven't returned.

I have had the car for 3.5 years and driven 70,000 miles in it and it has never cut out on me at all and never leaked fuel. It
was strange how these problems suddenly happened 10 minutes after leaving Kwik Fit.

I only took the car in for a free exhaust check and pre mot checks , he found a loose clamp on the exhaust which he cut off with the grinder thus sparks flying everywhere including under bonnet as bonnet was open. the loose clamp was not the source of the noise, the noise in question has been occurring for weeks and seems to be coming from the catalytic converter area. I replaced the exhaust clamp earlier that day and couldn't get old one off so left it and was going to saw it off the next day.

To recap what had happened regarding thread title, I got it back from kwik fit and driving home 10 minutes later the car cuts out, strong smell of fuel inside the car and upon looking there was a puddle of fuel under the injectors.

I know it was not leaking previously as I do daily check under the bonnet and never saw any leaks and there has never been any smell of leaking fuel from this car. Also I only smelled fuel right after getting it back from kwik fit.

It sounds like you're more interested in blaming KwikFit than in trying to get to the root of the problem. I'm an engineer, rather than a lawyer, so that's me out, I'm afraid. Good luck!

It sounds like you're more interested in blaming KwikFit than in trying to get to the root of the problem. I'm an engineer, rather than a lawyer, so that's me out, I'm afraid. Good luck!

OH DON'T YOU WORRY I HAVE BENE TO SEVERAL GARAGES AND GETTING THINGS UNDERWAY, BUT NOW THE CODES HAVE STAYED OFF, NO MORE FUEL LEAKING AND NO MORE CUTTING OUT,THEY HAVE TOLD ME THE ENGINE SOUNDS PERFECT AND ABSOLUTELY NO NOIS OF BAD FUEL INJECOTRS ETC

BTW IF YOU HAD BEEN TO A GARAGE 10 MINS PREVIOUSLY AND THEN YOUR CAR CUT OUT AND LEAKED FUEL FOR FIRST TIME SINCE YOUR 4 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP I KNOW FOR SURE YOU'D BE DOING THE SAME AS ME AND ACCUSING THE GARAGE , NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

Sorry, I got to ask.
You worked on your brakes which are a key component of a vehicle and of course you don't want them to fail, but then you take your car to the garage for a little exhaust rattle.
Why did you not jack the car up, and checked yourself?
Surely if you can deal with brakes, you can deal with an exhaust clamp.

OH DON'T YOU WORRY I HAVE BENE TO SEVERAL GARAGES AND GETTING THINGS UNDERWAY, BUT NOW THE CODES HAVE STAYED OFF, NO MORE FUEL LEAKING AND NO MORE CUTTING OUT,THEY HAVE TOLD ME THE ENGINE SOUNDS PERFECT AND ABSOLUTELY NO NOIS OF BAD FUEL INJECOTRS ETC

BTW IF YOU HAD BEEN TO A GARAGE 10 MINS PREVIOUSLY AND THEN YOUR CAR CUT OUT AND LEAKED FUEL FOR FIRST TIME SINCE YOUR 4 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP I KNOW FOR SURE YOU'D BE DOING THE SAME AS ME AND ACCUSING THE GARAGE , NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

I'm afraid you don't know anything about me at all. You need to stop pretending you do. I've had my current car for over a decade. If I took it to a garage and asked them to change a headlight bulb, and I drove away from the garage afterwards and my clutch went, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was something the garage had done, because I'm not that kind of person...

the noise in question has been occurring for weeks and seems to be coming from the catalytic converter area
Probably the cat's buggered. When cats break up and start rattling, they can temporarily turn and block the exhaust. That will bring the car to a halt. Start up, cat rattles it’s honeycomb into a position that allows gasses to pass and the engine runs.

Probably the cat's buggered. When cats break up and start rattling, they can temporarily turn and block the exhaust. That will bring the car to a halt. Start up, cat rattles it’s honeycomb into a position that allows gasses to pass and the engine runs.
I’ve seen bits of the cat in the tailpipe too :eek:
John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back