Toothing in to existing building

Hi Stuart,

Just wanted to say thanks alot, that brilliant. Its really helped to see it on a drawing.

Cheers :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I finally did it today, doesn't look too bad I dont think.. just thought I'd show you seen as you helped

I used a lintel though as the whole thing is going to be painted with masonry paint anyway.

thanks

C

Looks alright to me unless you are actually looking for it. Which no one will be.
Plus you could completely disguise it by sticking a mini porchey-canopy type thing over the door.

You have done a good job hogey from a difficult situation. Good idea from Deluks as well about the canopy.
Are you building a brick gable end above?

Sponsored Links
hi there,

yes I am planning to make a gable to put the new roof on, the old roof pitch was approx 28 degrees so I am planning to make it the same.

Do you have any top tips for lining this up with the other end?

Also thanks Deluke for the tip

C

hi there,Do you have any top tips for lining this up with the other end? C
Put your roof timbers up first.
Either build up the corners, or may be better for you to fix a piece of 4x2 to each end of the wall as a profile to pull your brick line off with corner blocks.
If the wall is say 40mm out off level and you have 20 courses to build you could make one end 74mm each course and the other end 76mm.
This will level out the wall gradually.
Mark the courses out on the profile to set your line to.
Set up lines for the angle of the the cut bricks up the verge.

Hi Stuart,

unfortunately, I dont know what you mean? :oops:

I dont know how to put up the timbers if there is not a gable (triangle end) for them to rest upon.

This is the dilemma I have, how do I get the gable to match the other end? I think the other gable is going to have to be tidied up somewhat also because it doesnt have a nice line it is a bit stepped.

I was planning to build up the gable and then put a ridge on ?

thanks C

It is possible to build the brickwork first. Make up a dummy rafters and ceiling joist triangle and fix it tempory to the plates as a guide, and then use it at the other end.
Or set up a profile in the centre of the wall to pull the line off at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back