Total Re-wire for £1800.00 (2bed flat) is this needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small 2 bedroom flat that a local electrical firm came to 'look at' today, giving me a quote of £1800.00 for a re-wire.
I use the term 'look at' quite lightly as that was all he did, his hands never left his pockets.

I had initialy only asked him for a price for a new Consumer unit and new lighting/switches to bathroom and kitchen. (and test it all afterwards)

I have recessed all of the old surface mounted switches etc, and all of the wiring is in twin and earth, which I would guess is not that old, I havent changed any ceiling roses yet as I was leaving that until last.

The drops from the old roses are in the old twisted cable (cant remember what its called).

The electrician after having a quick look around said, thats going to be £1800.00 for a re-wire as they wouldnt touch it otherwise, he even pointed out the old ceiling roses as one of his reasons (this was slightly annoying as this was the first thing that I told him - I also told him that all the circuits etc in the loft are in twin and earth)

Can anyone give any advice on this, as whatever happens, I dont intend spending £1800.00!

Regards

Rhys

Sponsored Links
Get another 2/3 quotes and see what they say, could be you do need one or could be he only does re-wires as cannot be bothered to do fixing type work. Could be that he's trying to scare you.

The more I think about it, I reckon he was trying it on!
He also said he could start on Monday! Cant be busy, and perhaps he needs the money, but he wont be getting mine.

Oftentimes "if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well". multicore cables would indicate an aged installation. He could well feel he could guarantee his work only with a full rewire. But DO ask about his guarantee!! ALSO is he part P registered?

Sponsored Links
As I said, only the roses are in Multicore, evrything else in the flat is twin and earth.

He is Part P registered, but he wont be getting my business.

It is definately twin and earth (Red, Black and a bare wire with a green/yellow sheath).
Im far from being a total novice (used to be in street lighting, so I know the basics) but I think he reckons I am!

Im an estimator/surveyor so I could put a reasonably good price to the works myself, and I reckon even if I did need a full re-wire, theres no way there £1800.00 in the job. There easy access to loft and floorboards and nothing is more than say 10metres away from the consumer unit.

Starting to think I should re-train as a spark!

rhys

Just put you on the spot a sec.....how much would you be willing to pay for a rewire?

No more than £900, maybe stretch to £1000, however I still dont think I need it. - If you think Im trying to get it done too cheaply, that isnt realy my point, I dont mind paying a good price for a good days work -if its required that is.

what part of the UK r u in?

Did a 3 bedroom flat complete with building warrant certs and BS7671 certs for less than this a few weeks ago. Not much less but less.

When you are thinking of £1000 you are in dreamland. If someone asked me that question I would say fine you do it.

Starting price should be £1500. If all doing right.
Maybe less for a low hassle job - customer doing a lot of donkey work.

You get what you pay for. And with these homebuyer reports coming in soon you may be left holding the baby so to speak if you are trying to sell without certification.

They may be taking liberties with the price, but price varies according to customer's attitude :D
and ease of job.

Okay, Im not getting into a long argument, but baldelectrician, you have proved my point and you seem to look at the job in the same way the electrician came to look at it did, perhaps with not much interest.

If you actually read my last post, you will see that it is actually 2 bedrooms, and it is a no hassle job as the flat is empty and also very small, so I wouldnt say it is a little less than your £1500, but a lot less.

What I havent mentioned is that all swithes etc are in place, and Ive told the guy that I will run in all the cables in the loft and under the floorboards.

I am definately in the wrong trade if the going rate for that is £1500 quid.

There are more things than meets the eye.

What I havent mentioned is that all swithes etc are in place, and Ive told the guy that I will run in all the cables in the loft and under the floorboards.
A customer 'helping out' can add to the job - cables run outside zones or without protection. This can extend the job.

I am not getting out the fiddle here but there are business costs that have to be taken into account.

> Insurances (van, contractors all risks, emp liability, public liability etc)
> Membership & Enrollment (SELECT & NICEIC)
> Training (cost to join SELECT & NIC > £1500 including courses not including lost time) + £1000 annual fees.
> Tools
> Test Equipment (+£70-£100 per year for calibration)
> Van running costs
> Wall chasing machine
> Vaccum cleaner
> Chanelling kit
> SDS drill
> Materials
> Other stuff i don't want to bore everyone with.

A rewire in a flat (in Scotland) requires a Building Warrant, permission from the council, BEFORE work takes place.
I have to sign a checklist

http://www.sec.uk.net/docs/checklist.pdf

I also provide a serial numbered certificate to show compliance with the building (Scotland) Act 2003 in addition to the usual BS7671 certs.

The flat will not sell without a Building Warrant completion certificate from the council and a lack of this will be picked up by the Home Condition Survey, AND the purchaser's solicitor out later this or early next year.
A warrant can take upto 14 weeks to happen so a sale might be lost.

MANDATORY landlord registration is happening in Scotland now, so electricains are going to be busier.

I find I am busy enough with word of mouth and repeat business. So I must be doing something right.

I use decent stuff and like to leave a reasonable job.

So the rewire for £1000 is a rare item, now non existant as I don't use crappppy materials.
I give regular customers good discounts- as they send business my way

Any self-employed tradesman has to earn around £200+ per day in order to have a viable business. I'd charge you £400 per day (two men) and, from what you've described, I'd expect to take two-to-three days, which means I'd be charging 3 days = £1200 plus materials.

So I'd say Baldie is in the right ball park.

Just as tradesmen may have an attitude towards customers it is not at all unusual for customers to have an aggressive/defensive attitude towards tradesmen. It's a two-way thing - there is the possibility that, for whatever reason, you didn't hit it off and he's put in an inflated quote because he doesn't actually want to work for you.

As has been suggested, get another couple of quotes... and be nice to them!

Why is everyone assuming I wasnt nice to the guy??

I certainly wasnt anything but polite to the guy, what peeved me that after less than a minute in the flat he threw the £1800.00 at me (and I dint let on my surprise and carried on the chat normally). If my stunned silence was taken as aggressive thats his problem - whats more annoying is the fact that I decribed everything to him before he came, if he didnt fancy the job he should have stayed in bed, counting his money.

Ive had the second rough quote, which is £1200 as an absolute maximum, and if I do the donkey work (run cables etc) he will knock a fair bit off again.

So, in all, I reckon he was a chancer, and thought I knew nothing! Its that guys loss anyway, as I intend to do 2 maybe 3 a year, so he is going to miss out on repeat work.

But at 34, Im young enough to learn a new trade, so Im going to get stuck into it and maybe do all my own work 3-4 years down the line.

PS, my post intially was about whether or not the re-wire is required at all, shame that everyone has jumped on the price issue instead!! As it happens the 2nd spark has said that he will have a good look at the existing installation (with me present), and decide from there what needs to be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back