Total Re-wire for £1800.00 (2bed flat) is this needed?

Where do I start??
Well I will start by saying, I will get exactly what Ive paid for!! This is an NECEIC Part P registered Electrician!!

One point I didnt mention regarding the price, was that in doing the first fix (just routing all the cables) - I am buying the cable, and back boxes etc, so theres a bit to add on to the £600.00 quid.

As far as everyone banging on about 'cheap' materials, this is nonsence. Everything that will be used will most definately be new, and will be kitemarked or have the relevant BS certification etc (I Work in a very safety conscious Industry and I am responsible enough to know that you cant cut corners)
- It just sounds to me like everyone uses this to justify high prices, this is a load of cr*p, one post even mentioned second hand cars, sounds like sparks in general went to the same training school as second hand dealers to me!

I dont think anyone has realy listened when Ive said the flat is small, yes there is a small bathroom and a tiny kitchen (6*6!!!), but even when you price up all the materials, the prices some people are quoting on here are just plain silly!

Whatever happens, I will get a Part P cert and the work will be done to standard - even the high tec first fix, will be done safely and accurately!

Come on guys, Part P hasnt turned this trade in to rocket science!

- To me it looks like its just helping to push prices up further than they need to go (yes, I appreciate that Part P has costs - so please, dont throw that back)

Anyway Ive had enough now, Im off up the tip to find some old cables!

That is a joke by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Rhys

Sponsored Links
Ha ha - a bathroom and a kitchen has now apeared into the equation.
I wonder how many points etc still waiting on that one.
Second hand car analogy looms still

We are not trying to justify high prices. Bald Electrician came up with a pretty good list of all of the expenses we face. Then there's the money lost through the occasional bad payer as well!

If you really are getting all of this and certification for £600.00 then fair play to you! He is pricing his labour too cheaply!

It just looks a bit to cheap for anyone who is paying all the bills that Bald Electrician mentions!

Kitemarked is one thing; quality is another.

Part P registered is one thing; quality of workmanship is another.

In my experience, those who bang on about the quoted price of a job aren't that concerned with quality and safety.

If you really do want a good job, then the answer is simple - engage only professional tradespeople who have been personally recommended to you; then you know that you'll get a good job at the right price. However, if you haggle the price down, or play people off against each other, then you'll get exactly what you pay for.

Here's a view from the other side - until recently I had never advertised, and hence undertook plumbing and heating work only through word-of-mouth recommendation. Then, for no apparent reason, my name reached some strange places, i.e. potential customers who don't even have third-hand knowledge of me or the quality of my work. Almost all of these have gone strangely wrong in the customer/tradesman relationship, such that I've now adopted the principle that I will only do jobs for people who actually know someone who has previously engaged me.

This is an excellent way of weeding out cowboy customers - in your case, rhys9918, I wouldn't even consider coming to look at your job.

Sponsored Links
Rhys,

If you are running all the cable and supplying the materials, so that all the spark has to do is second-fix, install CU, test and certify, then £600 sounds entirely reasonable. (After all, in a property such as you've described it's hardly more than day's work.)

But you've moved the goalposts a tad during this thread. Did you ask the spark what he'd charge you to do the whole job himself and supply all materials? Because that's the price for comparison.

And as a few have tried to explain, it's difficult to give a price without seeing the job. Ebee's second-hand car remark is still valid, as would be 'how long is a piece of string?'.

Anyway, I'm glad you've found a solution.

Dingbat has a point. I assumed that the price included the electrician supplying the second fix acessories such as sockets and CU as well as a good visual inspection of the first fix! This, coupled with the cost in labour of second fixing all the lighting, sockets, fire alarms, CCU etc as well as the CU and full testing of all circuits including the bonding would take me longer than a day!

If you supply all materials and you are in the right part of the country then £600.00 may well be a legitimate quote!

As Softus said though, nothing is more reliable than word of mouth!

£1800.00 is a london price.
my local pub sells cheapest lager [fosters] at £2.95. a pint.
strong lager is £3.20 a pint.
so you see prices vary throughout the country,get a polish contractor and pay in euros.for a good deal.

PompeySparks said:
Dingbat has a point. I assumed that the price included the electrician supplying the second fix acessories such as sockets and CU as well as a good visual inspection of the first fix! This, coupled with the cost in labour of second fixing all the lighting, sockets, fire alarms, CCU etc as well as the CU and full testing of all circuits including the bonding would take me longer than a day!

If you supply all materials and you are in the right part of the country then £600.00 may well be a legitimate quote!

As Softus said though, nothing is more reliable than word of mouth!

This reminds me of the sign I saw once in a garage: -

Our labour charges are £30/h
With customer watching: £50/h
With customer assisting: £80/h
Jaymack

Say no to boring signatures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back