Towel Radiator - Flexible Connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently had a new bathroom fitted and I decided to finish off by tiling and fitting all the bits and bobs (shower/bath panel etc).

The last job I have to do it fit the towel radiator and I'm struggling. The pipes are too close to the wall to fit the radiator using the supplied brackets. I've spoken to the plumber who set the pipes up and he claims that he left the correct gap and that I must have made the notch in the tile too small.

This is incorrect, the notch in the tile is the exact same size as the notch in the floorboards and there is nowhere near enough play on the copper pipes, without changing the pipes under the floor boards I'd have to put a significant amount of pressure on them to move them from the wall and I don't want to risk a leak!

My question is now, can I fit an elbow or new radiator valve to the pipes to get the radiator to fit? Taking the tiles up would be the last resort!

Here's a pic:

20130315_144200_zps6bac8e9b.jpg

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Looks like he set them up without the tiles on the wall being on? Take the wall tiles off and it looks like it would be right. What are the brackets that hang the radiator like? Do you have any play on the pipework at all?
The only other way I can see how it would work would be to pull a couple of very tight offset bends but it depend on how far out they need to be.

Not much play at all, especially with the tiles on. I'd probably get a bit of movement if I took the tiles off but I'd really rather not.

The brackets are plastic silver things that are fixed. They can't be adjusted.

Simon

Are they like plastic tubes that screw onto the wall? Post a pic? If so you could core the wall tile the same size so the bracket sits further in?

Sponsored Links
You are a better tiler than your so called plumber is at plumbing! Regardless of the wrong positioning of the pipes, i wouldnt have been proud of my work after leaving those knackered old pipes visible like that :confused:

Personally I think the best way is to add a couple of 'pulled' bends so that the pipes line up with the valves. If you have the towel rail too close to the wall, you won't be able to get your towels behind it :)

Good point Squeaky,

What connectors would be needed? And I assume this would be a job for a competent plumber rather than a bumbling DIYer like myself?

If so, how much would I be looking at paying?

Id do two chrome connectors right down against the floor, then bend some chrome pipe (with bending machine) up to the valves.

Get a pro in mate and it will look better. Id slap the first "plumber" if thats how he first fixes bathrooms!!

Thanks guys, I'll get the plumber in. I've had a recommendation from a family member who project manages house refurbishments so hopefully it ends up better this time.

Thanks for the help :)

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back