Trianco Redfyre Centrajet

Sponsored Links
the engineer has replaced the motor & driveshaft on the boiler & it still doesnt work so he has said the burner will need replacing. Is this an expensive job?

www.heatingworldofspares.com

Try the above, and get a competent engineer.

Hope you don't have to pay for motor.

The only time we fit new burner is when several parts are u/s, or due to lack of, or previously botched servicing made it impossible to remove some screws/bolts.

It then becomes more cost effective to supply new burner.

Mind you I have only done that twice.

Sponsored Links
A burner has very few component parts to fail, what happened to your burner in the first place ? Did it not fire up when the lockout button was reset? Did the motor not turn? Did it spark but no ignition? I'm hoping the guy who came to look at it told you what was happening.
And contrary to opinion, burners aren't that expensive. Couple hundred quid plus vat.

Perhapos it may help if i explain in a bit more detail.
I have recently moved into a house that has been vacant for about 18 months & had the central heating system drained down. The boiler is an oil-fired Trianco Redfyre 17kw Centrajet that had clearly never been looked after. After a long battle to get the boiler to fire (had a new solenoid valve fitted, new filters, check valve to the tank) we thought we had sorted the problem (although it does produce fumes & the wall/ceiling around it has black around it from the boiler). However every so often i had to remove the filter & clean the crap out of it presumably because the tank had old oil in it. I had 500 ltr of oil delivered & it was much better but about a month ago it would need priming everytime you wanted to fire it up (turning the switch on/off repeatedly) & so the boiler would not kick in on the timer. Then, when going to do the same procedure again it basically made wgat i would describe as an electrical 'crackling' noise & that was it. The engineer said it was the motor, then the driveshaft now its the whole burner need replacing or £2000 (plus £500 fitting) for a new boiler which seems crazy!

Hope this now helps!!

Normally a burner will start to produce sooty fumes due to lack of oil pressure, i.e. blocked inline filters, pump filter, nozzle, or the pump, through fuel starvation, is starting to fail. I notice that you said you had a check valve - is your burner positioned higher than your oil tank ?
Is your oil tank positioned near shrubs / trees, and is the tank breather still in place ? ( a mushroom shaped dome ).

It sounds as if the guy you got in was trying to eliminate certain things without, obviously, finding the real cause. Did he change the nozzle as well?

Sometimes when the burner keeps going without locking out its the motor. It can also be the contol box. The crackling noise you heard was probably the electrodes sparking on sequence.
Don't go for anything until you get a decent OFTEC engineer in to source the REAL cause of the problem.

does anyone know of a decent OFTEC engineer in the stoke-on-trent area?

The tank is lower than the boiler which is wall mounted. The valve arrangement off the tank is: Tank - IV - level guage - CV - filter - into building - IV - boiler.
Does this sound correct?

The tank seems quite old & is a little leaky but when we had an oil delivery i asked the tanker driver & he siad that he fills far worse that that.

The tank does have trees on one side but the side where the breather is positioned is onto open fields.

Look on the oftec website here, then phone a few up. The one that asks lots of questions without prompting is the one to pick. Just say your boiler doesn't work. See how many questions come back.

This is one place where you can use the 2008 Doorstep selling regulations. I doubt you were told you have 7 days to cancel the contract in writing, and that you did not sign a piece of paper to agree to pay for any work done in those 7 days. You should have been. Ring your guy, tell him about the regulations, and tell him to fix the fault. If he won't, boy could he be in bovver.

If the tank is leaky, it will need replacing, but not with plastic. PM me and I will let you know a source of steel tanks. The tanker driver may fill worse than that, but oftec will tell him (if he is certified) that he has a duty of care, and HE should have told YOU about the leak. (I don't necessarily agree with oftec BTW)

OK, so i got an OFTEC engineer out to look at the boiler & he said that he would remove the boiler & replace it with an external combi. He has quoted a collossal £3000!!! I said to him that can i not just replace the existing Trianco wall hung boiler with a new Trianco wall hung boiler (about £1000 for the boiler) & he so say no because that would involve major pipework alterations to the existing CH system. Why would this be?

Toatally cheesed off as i cannot pay out the £3000 at christmas time but obviously need heating!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back