Tripped RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The RCD tripped on the outside security Halogen spots I think becouse the bulbs blown and the lamps way to high up for me to check the bulb.
My question is do I have to replace the bulb before I can flip the switch back on the RCD in order to get the other lights on?Regards Gaz

Sponsored Links
Try your luck. If it stays on then your laughing, but bear in mind that if the RCD tripped due to damp ingress or the like then there is the possibility it might trip again. Best check as soon as you can anyway.

I once had a halogen tube explode - its filament welded itself to the metal reflector.

Try your luck. If it stays on then your laughing, but bear in mind that if the RCD tripped due to damp ingress or the like then there is the possibility it might trip again. Best check as soon as you can anyway.

Hi Thank you for you fast reply,I flicked the RCD switch and it just switchs off,there are also 5 or 6 small feature spot lamps on the same switch, I have had a look in side the lamps and a few are damp and coverd in white dust like powder looks like the damp as been in big time,Could this be why it tripped? may me the Halogen bulbs are ok.and the fault is in the small lamps.What do think.

Sponsored Links
Normally I wouldn't expect the RCD to stay tripped if the lamp(bulb) in your outside light had blown.
The best thing to do as already suggested by "ricicle" is to reset your RCD and see what happens.
If it wont set or trips again soon after resetting, the lamp is not your problem.
Could be a number of things.

Does the RCD cover a number of circuits, if so I assume all these circuits have no power.
So if the Outside light and additional spots have dedicated circuit, turn the power of to those circuits by flipping the MCB that protect them, also would be worth while unplugging any electrical equipment on this circuits, then try to reset RCD.

Thank you for you all for the advice,I will have look in the morning and I think the best bet is to disconect all the little feature spots as I suspect that the damp at got in some of these and one of them may be cousing the fault,If after there all disconected the trip should stay on. I will let you know how I get on. thank you Gaz.

I would personally, before disconnecting your lights individually.
Open the MCB for the circuit, then reset RCD.
If it still trips and you feel confident enough, disconnect the circuit at the CU earth, neutral, live.
You need to know which circuit is causing the problem, you are assuming that it is the outside lighting circuit. It may not be!
Could you please confirm we are talking about an RCD or is it an RCBO?
Could you also confirm that this tripping is disconnected other circuits protected by the RCD.

or are you really talking about about a MCB? Then it's a different ball game!

IMO any circuit leaving the house which shares an RCD with other circuits should have a DP isolator inside.

IMO any circuit leaving the house which shares an RCD with other circuits should have a DP isolator inside.
I also totally agree - but the ideal, of course, is that a circuit which leaves the house ideally should not be sharing an RCD with circuits within the house. Sure, a DP isolator enables one to prevent further problems once the RCD has tripped, but it does not stop the first of those nuisance trips occurring.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back