Tripping RCD nightly

unless you have really old or poor quality PSUs in your equipment, the "surge protector" is a useless bit of tat, modern PSUs can absorb more surge than 90% of the protectors around.

if your really worried about spikes/surges a cheap(ish) UPS would provide better protection than a "surge protector"

Sponsored Links
Hi. I had gone quiet as I was hoping the problem had gone away. Not to be it seems.

The PC came back and blew the trip first night, but has been good as gold since until this weekend. While we were away it yet again blew the trip, hopefully my parents reset it before the freezer defrosted...

Today I have been experimenting. If I plug the PC in in the office (700w PSU) it blows, I then plugged in the computer we have by the TV (I am a tech freak alas) also with a 700w PSU it again blows.

IF I plug in the Pre School computer that I have to do some work on over the holidays (Budget dell - pretty sure not 700w PSU) then all seems to be ok.

Could the actual power going through the units cause an issue? I will take a photo a little later on, now I have found my camera instead of my phone...

David

Today I have been experimenting. If I plug the PC in in the office (700w PSU) it blows, I then plugged in the computer we have by the TV (I am a tech freak alas) also with a 700w PSU it again blows.
What happens if a different high powered appliance is plugged in to that circuit (such as a kettle or electric heater)?

Are you using the same power cord with the PC - could be that the cord itself is defective in some way.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be getting worse now, with no good reason or anything changing.

Tried a kettle and it seemed ok, although the lights that are on the same ring noticeably dimmed.

50p say's it's a loose neutral somewhere..

could be in the rcd, or in the meter, or in the main isolator...

Can you take a pic with the cover off? If so, switch the main switch off first and beware that there are still live connections in the CU at 230V.

Sorry mod - I left them large as earlier I had been told they were too small. I'll leave the links as at least the images are clear that way.

I'm not sure what 3 C+E cables you refer to? I've never made changes to the Consumer Unit.

I do know that at some point in the houses life a detached brick garage has been added with power. It was in fact my first port of call.

I'm not sure what 3c+e cables you refer to?
Your CU is wired in the old two core colours of red/black. The old three core colours were red/yellow/blue.

You wouldn't usually expect to see 3c+e in a single phase CU (you might find it elsewhere on the lighting circuits, though not in the CU).

Can you see what the yellow (not yellow/green) cables are going to above the MCB's on the left hand side of the CU or is that just where they enter the CU?

If you have an insulated screwdriver then you could try tightening the screws in all the terminals. This would help rule out a loose connection at least. This should be done with the main switch off.

The screws at the top of the main switch on the right hand side of the CU will still be live - even with the main switch off.

I will get hold of an insulated screwdriver tomorrow and have another look (we live out in the sticks so can't just pop to DIY store...)

I did look for any obvious loose connections this morning with no joy.

David

What supply type have you got?

Take a piccy of where the supply cable enters the house and where it terminates in the cutout (the bit that links the incoming cable to the meter.

If you have PME, there could be fault elsewhere in the system feeding back through the RCD.

was going to sugest that the 3C+E were smoke alarms wired individually back to the CU and their interlinks on the yellow cores.. but the smokes are the 1st B06 next to the isolator..

however the outside lights seem to have quite a few reds into it so that might be them, with the PIR switched live on the yellow all commoned up....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back