Tumble Dryer Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Another quick question... :LOL:

We're currently putting the tumble dryer vent through the cat flap but the cat keeps knocking it in when she comes through which fills the utility room with hot air and fluff! I need to really sort out where it goes but I was unsure on how far you could go. My idea was to go straight through the wall behind (partition wall) into the garage (colder) then straight up the wall behind then back through the wall into the utility room, across the ceiling and through the main wall to a vent. I was going to box it in, in the garage and insulate it, but in total it's going to go about a foot through then 8 foot up, then 6 foot back - would this be acceptable, do I have to use the flexi hose - or is there anything better like rigid pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - Do you just mean the fans like the ones in the extractor fan kits? I guess it's the same sort of pipe so should be OK. How would I go about switching it on and off though?

Do you mean your room with the dryer has no external walls?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Do you mean your room with the dryer has no external walls?

No - It does. It has an external wall opposite it, so I was going to go out behind it and then straight up, then come back into the room and straight across the ceiling to go out above the door which is also opposite the tumble dryer.

The other option is one of these which could sit in the garage behind the tumble dryer:

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin...042528&section=100883&path=47875,100883:48791

Are they any good? can you get any that automatically empty themselves into a overflow type pipe?

First port of call would be the handbook for your tumble drier - What is the maximum permissible length of the outlet duct?

Ducting for kitchen extractor hoods or plastic soil pipe would be about the right size to extend the duct, but there may be a fire hazard from either the macine overheating or the duct if it gets bunged up with fluff.

On a long run, especially if vertical, you may have problems with condensation in the duct.

Could you run round the room at floor level, boxing in behind an oversize skirting board, say, and incorporate a 'fall' on the pipe in case of condensation?

When I had a problem fitting a duct past a machine that only just fitted in an alcove I made up a low stage to stand the drier on, leaving room for the duct underneath. It made the machine easier to load as well.

good idea. You can also get rectangular ducting which looks better. the convoluted hose is more difficult to keep clean than the rigid duct.

Do you have wall units or floor-standing units in the room?

If you can post some pics it may spark off ideas

Sorry for the delay,

I can't go round the room as the room has 3 doors in it. Something like this:

|____ _____|____Garage door_______

The Washing machine goes in the back left corner, the tumble dryer is to go in the back right. The door at the front is sort of a secondary front door next to the big garage door. The garage then goes behind the utility room. There will be worktop over the appliances and wall units above.

I have bought a cheap condensor unit for the minute to see how well it works - will try later tonight, but it would be better to get it sorted properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back