venting tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to get a tumble dryer and put it in the garage. It's a fairly well ventilated garage anway but no windows to put the hose through. Advice seems to be vent properly by drilling through wall.

Garage is breeze block and looks like ony one block where I want to vent through. Do I need a special drill (I've read about "core drills")or can I make a circle of small holes with my own "normal" drill and chisel the rest away?

Other question outer surface is render, what's the best way to get a neat finish on this side?

All help appreciated, you'll gather I'm no expert....

Sponsored Links
stitch drilling with a normal drill will give you a good result. Just mark with a bit of 4 inch pipe and drill as many holes as you can. Also try to change angle and join a few holes up if that makes sense.

In concrete blocks its very easy. Remember the vent will give you some extra cover if the hole is not super neat.

Thanks, really helpful. Sorry for being a numpty - can you buy longer than normal bits to drill all the way through the breeze block?

I'm trying to work out the logistics of it. Presume if I can get a drill bit long enough to go through the whole block I just drill outside to in. and then chisel at what's left.

Masonry drill bits are available in a variety of lengths up to a Metre or so. 150mm should be adequate for a 4" wall. For stitch drilling the diameter is unimportant, so you might as well choose one that may be useful elsewhere later.

Sponsored Links
One other possibly usefull thing to do when forming the hole in the breeze block is to ensure that you drill the hole at a very slightly "downward angle"

This because rain can not run down the external face of the garage and run back up and into the garage itself. If the hole you drill is either level or sloping upwards the rain WILL run into the Garage.

There are also a variety of external vent terminals that are avaialble, this will do two things.

1/. Assist in covering over the rough appearance of the cut breeze and whatever finish there is on the external surface of the Garage. Making the terminal look more professional.

2/. These things come with a sort of a draught preventer that assists in stopping the worst of the cold damp weather blowing back and into the dryier iteslf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back