Twin double back box

Can you give a bit more detail?
If you look at the OPs second post (3rd post in the thread), he's posted a picture of a bracket. These go on a round pipe of about 2-3" diameter used for AV mounts and such. Then there's a couple of threaded holes on one side of the bracket to fix stuff to. To give an idea of scale, the thickness of this bracket is probably around 1/2" or less - so not a large surface for fixing stuff to.

He's obviously wanting one double box for a double 13A socket, and a second box for data.

The obvious simple method is just to fix one back box to one bracket, and the second back box to a second bracket. However, for standard surface boxes, the back tends to be a) not all that strong if only fixed at the centre (so a risk of it breaking if someone pulls a cable), and b) not that pretty (and a lot will be on show, which is why I suggested a sheet of something between the brackets and the boxes).

Metalclad would look "a bit industrial" although a pair of metalclad boxes linked would be fairly robust and rigid.

Sponsored Links
He's obviously wanting one double box for a double 13A socket, and a second box for data.
Will you please tell me if the pole is fixed in place, or part of something mobile, will you please tell me how the outlets will be supplied, will you please tell me if it will always be in a dry environment, will you please tell me if any precautions against impact damage will be needed and will you please tell me if access to the outlets needs to be secureable?

Metalclad would look "a bit industrial"
Unlike a 2-3" diameter metal pole....

Can you give a bit more detail?
Certainly
What sort of pole?
A 2m long vertical 50mm diameter steel pole.
Why a pole, and not a wall?
The pole is for ceiling mounting a projector and the sockets will be just above the projector.
What is the pole part of?
A projector mount.
Where will it be, i.e. what sort of environment?
Indoors, church hall, no need for any environmental protection.
Who will be using the outlets, and for what?
No-one once the projector is plugged in.
Will you please tell me if the pole is fixed in place,
Yes
or part of something mobile,
No
will you please tell me how the outlets will be supplied,
Double socket supplied in 1.5mm2 T&E from an FCU (3A) on the local ring. Cat5 outlet supplied in... Cat5 :) cables run through pole and out grommeted hole into back of socket
will you please tell me if it will always be in a dry environment,
Unless the ceiling leaks then yes.
will you please tell me if any precautions against impact damage will be needed
None - ~4m from floor and projector and Cat5-VGA balun will be semi-permanently plugged in.
and will you please tell me if access to the outlets needs to be secureable?
No
Metalclad would indeed be ideal for this, but metalclad Cat5 outlets tend to be hard to find and expensive (I tend to prefer MK sockets).

Also, before someone suggests the projector should be hard-wired, there is also a Cat5-VGA balun on a wall-wart that may be replaced in the future with HDMI or any future standard. Also it makes isolation for maintenance easier.

Sponsored Links
Can't you put the sockets on the ceiling?
I thought about that, but the ceiling is an awful suspended plaster tile arrangement that I'd rather avoid cutting any more than I need to. The pole will go through the ceiling to a girder clamp and the cables will enter it above the ceiling too.
Photo here:

It is also more accessible - the bottom of the pole will be within easy reach of an A-frame ladder, whereas the ceiling is about 6m up and needs the extended Zarges or scaff tower.

Actually they generally don't look too bad - it's not just some random lump of well used galv scaffold tube (I assume !).
I've worked with them in polished chrome and a textured black paint finish (that was definitely a measure twice, cut once job !).

Just another thought ...

If you take a short length of 100mm x 40mm dado trunking, with 2off double socket inserts, and 2 endcaps. Mount it vertically across two brackets and you get two double sockets (or in this case the double socket plus data) neatly mounted vertically up the pole.

Just another thought ... If you take a short length of 100mm x 40mm dado trunking, with 2off double socket inserts, and 2 endcaps. Mount it vertically across two brackets and you get two double sockets (or in this case the double socket plus data) neatly mounted vertically up the pole.
Good thought. It had occurred to me that a vertical ('long/narrow') bit of 'anything' (wood, plastic, metal or whatever) mounted between two of those 'ring' brackets could be used as a 'backboard' for mounting (vertically) backboxes of any sort. I would personally also think that 'vertical' mounting of the double back-boxes would be aesthetically more satisfactory (if that matters) and, by minimimising how much was sticking out on either side of the pole, would probably also reduce the risk of 'damage by knocking'.

Kind Regards, John

I would personally also think that 'vertical' mounting of the double back-boxes would be aesthetically more satisfactory (if that matters)

But the sideways plugs with the leads protruding would look cack :)

Two singles for the sockets :cool:

But the sideways plugs with the leads protruding would look cack :) Two singles for the sockets :cool:
Yes, that might look even better. Mind you, I'm not convinced that downward (or upward) exciting cables would necessarily look a lot better. In eitehr case they could presmably do a reasonably tight bend (or U-turn)and then be 'wound behind' the supporting board. Having said all that, I doubt that there is too much concern about aesthetics 'up there'!

Kind Regards, John.

If you're worried about durability, and don't want to use MC, you could use PVC boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back