Two way switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am helping a friend who has had an “electrician” wire his kitchen. He has stopped answering his calls and abandoned the job.

Ive got most of it sussed but noticed that he has put in a twin and earth between two switches as the two way wiring. I think this should be 3 core and earth? Is there any solution to this as the walls have been plastered and the cable can’t be pulled back through.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Chip out the plaster, put the correct cable in, and replaster. Bill the original electrician. When he doesn't pay, small claims court time.

Send photos or drawings or accurate descriptions on what you have, in case the 3 core and earth is not necessary.

Two way lighting wasn't always done with 3 core+e, so there MAY be a way of salvaging it.

If he has used capping or conduit, and you need to make alterations, the damage could be minimal.

If you have a live feed at one end of the cable and the switch wire at the other, you may be able to sort it.

Sponsored Links
One of the three wires to second switch is perment line, so it was common to borrow line from another switch.

This can mess up some hearing aids and has been known to result in borrowed neutral, so is no longer done by most electricians, but unless it causes a borrowed neutral there is no rule to stop it.

Thanks for all the responses. I will do some more digging and come back to you

two-way-real.jpg
This is the normal way to do two way switching, note un-switched line to both switches. Easy to borrow line from another switch.

MODS NOTE: Off topic posts have been removed
I am helping a friend who has had an “electrician” wire his kitchen. He has stopped answering his calls and abandoned the job.

Ive got most of it sussed but noticed that he has put in a twin and earth between two switches as the two way wiring. I think this should be 3 core and earth? Is there any solution to this as the walls have been plastered and the cable can’t be pulled back through.

Thanks in advance.
Strappers only require the two phase conductors. It's only the "conversion method" which uses three phase conductors. So it's not necessarily incorrect at all. Professionals use twin brown for the strappers.

Strappers only require the two phase conductors. It's only the "conversion method" which uses three phase conductors. So it's not necessarily incorrect at all. Professionals use twin brown for the strappers.
What’s a “strapper”?

UPDATE: whilst there is a 2 core and earth in one of the switches, there is no trace of the other end! It’s certainly not at the other switch.

I’ve also fished out all the spot light cables and don’t see an extra cable there either. I have buzzed out all of these cables and they are accounted for.

It’s a mystery…

Could two way switching be achieved by taking a cable from the switch to one of the ceiling lights? The loop is at the switch.
I was wondering whether the other end is tucked away somewhere above the ceiling.

With Live and Neutral looped at one switch this arrangement works but still needs 3 core plus Earth from the ceiling rose to each of the swiches
0x106.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back