Two way switch wiring

With Live and Neutral looped at one switch this arrangement works but still needs 3 core plus Earth from the ceiling rose to each of the swiches
View attachment 266876
Even if this cable was somewhere in the ceiling, there’s definitely no spare cable at the other switch. All cables at this other switch are accounted for.

Sponsored Links
Maybe photos would help, i am confused what you have

Last edited:
Photos, or some kind of info, would help.

For instance, if BOTH switches happen to have a permanent live (for example if one switch had the live feed, and the second switch also has permanent live for something else), then I would say it could be done.

More info please.

I thought I replied to this. Apologies for the delay.
There are two switches in question: one near an internal door and the other near an external door. I think the logic adopted by the builder was that the spotlights in this room can be switched on/off at either entrance/exit. There are multiple gangs (for other lights) at both of these switches. Additionally, we have the live in and out at the switches too.

None of the above was marked!
I’ve now gone through using my continuity tester and identified all the cables at both switches. The switch at the external door has one unaccounted cable but the other end of this (albeit T&E) is not at the other switch in question. It’s an enigma.

Not sure where to go with this. Other than this we have all cables traced and identified.
The electrician has also switched some of the lights at the external door and some at the internal door. This has its ups and downs…

A two-way would have been better but that’s where we are.

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Sponsored Links
It's been a long day, can hardly think, so need to know exactly what you have at each switch.

The cable at the external door, which you cannot identify, could this be an outside light cable? Or an under unit light cable?

You state you have a live (and neutral?) feed at both switches.?

If so, this means you can effectively rule out one of the 'strappers' - as one of the strappers can be a permanent live. So the 2 core cable can consist of a common wire and a (switched) strapper wire.

I'm only going by the rather limited info you have provided, but it looks fairly hopeful.

I don't imagine it was miracously designed like this, I suspect there was a balls up, and 2 core was put in for the 2 way because the bloke was an idiot - but it sounds do-able - ASSUMING both switch feeds are on the SAME circuit.

Photos and more detail will give you a more decent response.

need to know exactly what you have at each switch.
Switch near internal door:
Live in
Live out
Kitchen cabinet light
Kitchen island light
Switch for most of the kitchen spots
Smoke alarm cable

switch near external door:
Live in
Switch for 3 of the spot lights
External light
Soffit lights
The “extra” wire…

The cable at the external door, which you cannot identify, could this be an outside light cable? Or an under unit light cable?
Unfortunately not. Both of these (and all other) lights have already been identified and located in the remaining cables.

You state you have a live (and neutral?) feed at both switches.?
Yes. There is a permanent live, neutral and earth at both switches.

I don't imagine it was miracously designed like this, I suspect there was a balls up, and 2 core was put in for the 2 way because the bloke was an idiot - but it sounds do-able
The problem is that there is no trace of the other end of this twin and earth cable…

So... are you now saying that the cable you thought was for the 2 way doesn't go between the two positions?

So... do you think it was never intended to be two way?

Could the mystery cable be for another outside light, or a cooker hood, or plinth lighting...?

Photos may jog our minds, you never know.

Yes that’s right.
Think the electrician was selling him a puppy. There is no cable that runs between the two switches. This extra cable appears to be for a light. That would be my guess, but everything is now accounted for. I’ve left it there. If an extra light transpires during second fix, I will know where to wire it in!

I wasn’t expecting a solution to this. Just wanted to share the current status.

Appreciate your support with this (and many other posts)

Do you need or want two way switching?
I assumed it won’t be possible without a lot of chopping into the walls and ceilings. I currently have some of the spotlights that are operated by one of the switches and another set from the other switch. This means that we can illuminate the room from either end.

Two way would have been preferable but We are content with what we have.

Out of interest, how would you introduce two way switching without placing a new cable between the two switches and all that would entail?

Well - I assumed you had a cable (albeit only T+E) which you could have used, with a bit of unconventional wiring.

But as you don't appear to have that, it's unlikely to be possible now, unless you access above the ceiling - where are few 'unconventional' junction boxes could be installed to alter the use of the wires.

For example, where you have a bunch of neutral wires in the switch, these could be diverted and reconnected as the two way wiring.

Complicated, time consuming, and likely to be frowned upon by others, but there you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back