UK MOT legalities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My MX5 failed the MOT with advisories. One of these was a 'do not drive till repaired'

The car is now repaired, and still MOTed, according to me and the tax office. As I read it I can drive it, but I've been told that I can't, till it's been retested.

Who's correct?
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
surely that should be a failure not a pass or advisory,

advisory is just that, which is why you can drive out the mot station and still be safe.

if it says do not drive until repaired, surely that should be a failure not an advisory?

What was the actual RfR and how was it worded? Can’t be failed on an advisory. An advisory is just that and it’s the personal advice of the tester. PM me the reg number if you like and I’ll check it.

There used to be a tyre shop near me that bought all the sidewall damaged tyres and repaired them badly - sometimes using a section of tyre to plug the hole and rubber filler and that was on tyres with a very high speed rating. Unfortunately it wasn’t an MOT failure. I used to issue an advisory telling them not to exceed 25mph. The tyre shop didn’t like it!

Last edited:
Hi M and S,
It said advisory on the receipt, not the certificate.
On the certificate it says fail:
Do not drive until repared (dangerous defect)
.Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Rear [(1.1.13)(ii)]

I checked the REG in the gov webstie, and it shows MOTed.

C.

Sponsored Links
In theory you shouldn't drive it.
In practice, even the most jobsworth copper would let you drive to a local garage to change the brake pads.
Then of course, if you're stopped 300 miles from home with a trailer...

In theory you shouldn't drive it.
In practice, even the most jobsworth copper would let you drive to a local garage to change the brake pads.
Then of course, if you're stopped 300 miles from home with a trailer...
HiJ,
I've changed the disks and pads, so it's fixed, in the fail it says can't drive till fixed, so I read it that I can now drive?
C

Yes, but you need it retested for a pass certificate.
So to be clear, you can only drive it to the mot station.

Yes, but you need it retested for a pass certificate.
So to be clear, you can only drive it to the mot station.
Hi J,
This is what I thought, but it should be clearer.
It should say: Do not drive until fixed and verified by a re-test.

This means that if you have a test, before the actual test, if it fails, then you loose those days.

Cheers, C

My understanding is that if your car has a valid mot and has had the cause of the failure repaired, you can drive it until the mot expires or you get it retested.

Hi,
My MX5 failed the MOT with advisories. One of these was a 'do not drive till repaired'

The car is now repaired, and still MOTed, according to me and the tax office. As I read it I can drive it, but I've been told that I can't, till it's been retested.

Who's correct?
Cheers, Camerart.
Did you repair it after the test or were the repairs done at the test station?

I seem to remember delayed GV9 means you can drive it to some where to be repaired, and immediate GV9 you have to move it with a trailer, and even the government test station could not stop you driving out of test station with a really bad fault, but they could arrange for an inspector to stop you as you drove out of the gates.

But today it is all on line, so your print out is only to save you going on line to read it, and you should be able to use the DVLA web site to view the MOT status.

However I told the DVLA of my new address and had a reply in January, but their website will not tell me my licence details unless I use old address, it seems strike action has disrupted their web site, so it has not been updated for months, can't say I blame them, 25% of work force catching colvid19 is well over what should be expected, if it was not government the government would have closed them down.

However if the web site says you have an MOT then you have an MOT even if not safe to drive. Personally if the garage I use says my car is not safe to drive, I don't drive it. Simple.

I seem to remember delayed GV9 means you can drive it to some where to be repaired, and immediate GV9 you have to move it with a trailer, and even the government test station could not stop you driving out of test station with a really bad fault, but they could arrange for an inspector to stop you as you drove out of the gates.

But today it is all on line, so your print out is only to save you going on line to read it, and you should be able to use the DVLA web site to view the MOT status.

However I told the DVLA of my new address and had a reply in January, but their website will not tell me my licence details unless I use old address, it seems strike action has disrupted their web site, so it has not been updated for months, can't say I blame them, 25% of work force catching colvid19 is well over what should be expected, if it was not government the government would have closed them down.

However if the web site says you have an MOT then you have an MOT even if not safe to drive. Personally if the garage I use says my car is not safe to drive, I don't drive it. Simple.
Hi E,
As before I should have used the full year before the test.
c

Hi M,
I drove it home, then repaired it.
C
I can only assume then that to issue a pass certificate they put it down as a R.A.T (repaired at test). Even if a car 'fails' on a blocked windscreen washer that is then cleaned out and the vehicle is issued with a pass, it MUST always be issued with a fail as well so that correct data can be collected. They shouldn’t have let you leave the station with a fail and a pass if they hadn’t carried out the work.

I think there's some confusion here.
The op got a fail certificate from mot.
The gov.uk website still holds the old pass certificate and it's not been updated.
Unless you can see the last test and it's marked as a pass.

Sponsored Links
Back