unable to buy parts without a corgi ticket horaaayyyyyy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have been an engineer ref 001465 for over 25 years and at last companies are refusing to sell parts to anyone without a corgi licence

i have heard from jan 1st 2008 all companies will have to comply by law

it's about time so we can get rid of the endless cowboys who think they can repair anything charge what they like and when a qualified engineer walks in the door gets grilled due to the previous idiots

was wondering what you guys thought about this, plus i cannot wait until the DIY stores stop selling boilers and gas fire to anyone, we have to go through the exams every 5 years so i am all for stopping the so called DIY's atempting to fix there gas appliances without any regard or risking blowing up there neighbours

thxs for listening and feel better getting that off my chest

heating tech

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber, just a customer, and I for one am totally for this!!!

Didnt know this was happening, good though that it is!

heating tech said:
hi i have been an engineer ref 001465 for over 25 years....................

heating tech

You're not an engineer. Why do you have the Username " heating tech" when you call yourself an engineer? You don't know your own occupation after 25 years?

I'll have to check the details of the rest of your post so no comment at the moment.

PS An elderly lady of my acquaintance smelt gas around a recently installed gas hob, so she called the Corgi registered technician who had installed it. He fixed it. He charged her £50. WTF?

A young relative of this lady thought there was still an intermittent smell of gas. I checked it with leak detection fluid. It leaks around a compression joint. It's rigid pipework and doesn't move, so why would it start leaking again? *

When I'm next there, I'll fix it. Properly. Free.

Any chance that the Corgi registered cowboys will be sorted out? No, none at all.

Many boiler parts are not part of the gas train and not safety critical. Many RGIs know sod-all about fundamental heating installation and have no morality.

* Answer to the question; It wouldn't.

I am in favour of toothy restrictions to prevent gas appliances being installed and commissioned without any visit by a CORGI.

However, I dont see that restrictions on selling parts are really very necessary from the acredited dealers. Their discount structure rather implies this anyway.

Its actually the CORGI guys who are mainly to blame ! There are a large number selling their employers parts at way under cost on ebay and thats the first place any anorak DIY boiler repairer goes to look at to buy parts.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am not Corgi registered but my installers are, however it is me who has to go down to pay and collect boilers and other related items for the projects I employ them on.
They tend to squeal when I ask them to shell out for anything more than a roll of ptfe :LOL:

I guess you will have to be a mechanic in future to buy a set of brake pads the way our nanny society is going.
Pete

couldn't agree with you more ,maybe when this law comes into affect on jan 1st this may stop the under the counter part sellers

well its nice to dream that maybe companies will insist on a corgi number, still until corgi makes it illegal for a home owner to install there own boiler that would be a good starting point

have a good one

gary

one of the top directors of the woseley group told me i will find out a link for you and post it here for you guys

gary

Wolesley are introducing this as a group.

It was mentioned in a recent issue of the Gas Installer magazine, but this is NOT AN industry wide initiative.

Afraid you are miss-understood my friend.

hi all

Is it still possible to buy your gas parts and boilers on-line though?

If so, then this hasn'nt stopped anything as a customer could just go on-line and buy the gas parts that he needs. Or am i missing something :oops:

Where does all this proposed legislation stop.

The grey coats would have us not change a light bulb or change the electrical fuse on a plug.

What is so wrong with people 'doing it themselves'. We have been doing it since time began. The fact we are trying to do it in the first place is probably because we enjoy doing so and get a small amount of satisfaction and sense of achievement, let alone save ourselves quite a lot of money. Most will I feel, have researched it, thought about it and be quite capable of carrying it out.

No amount of legislation will stop the complete idiot from blowing himself up, for whom these rules are supposed to target.

Yes, gas is dangerous, so is electricity, so is walking down the high street or crossing the road. Thankfully, DIY it is not a major threat to are health and until it starts becoming so, then we can legislate, in the mean time, let's worry about things that are.

This nanny state is really starting to grate with me. :rolleyes:

Its only going to apply to gas carrying parts,gas valve pilot burner etc etc,anyone will still be able to go and buy pcbs fans,pressure,switches,and fit them themselves should they wish to.

Hmmmnnn ...

Copper pipe is a gas carrying part as are end feed fittings and isolating valves etc.

I agree with Tryitandsee (to a point) ... Where does this stop?

It would be okay for them to restrict their trade sales without Corgi registration as it IS ILLEGAL for professionals to undertake work without it.

Restricting retail sales on this basis could be illegal though and, if they did, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find them challenged under the fair trading act, or even the EU human rights act as they are discriminating against the consumer.

Please remember everyone ... There is NO LAW in this country preventing homeowners from carrying out gas work legally if they are competant to do so and follow LBC process.

Whether we like it or not this is the case and, until the law changes, any supplier who refuses to supply to anyone based on the lack of Corgi qualification (which has no legal standing whatsoever) would be foolhardy IMO.

Without legal precedant there is absolutely no difference between this and them saying that they are only going to sell parts to white people :!:

All this regulation is just an excuse to employ more Government people.

A figure bandied about often states that in the last 8 years the Government has employed an additional 500,000 civil servants. True, one could argue some of these are policeman, nurses, doctors and fireman.

When you are watching the telly, listening to the radio or reading the paper, start working out how much media advertising is carried out by the Government.

The taxpayer has to foot the bill of all the extra people, all the pointless advertising asking you to keep your tyres pumped up.

So when the Government puts out a press release saying what they are next going to regulate, remember, there is a cost and you are paying for it.

When the Government says there is inflation, it is caused by us having to earn more in order to buy road tax, get a homebuyers pack, pay stamp duty, insurance tax etc.

The boiler gas spares industry, if regulated, will cost a fortune to administer and police. I would like to volunteer to be the CEO, the first thing I will do is get a branding agency in, have some meetings in a health spa in Monaco, create a logo, and then spend £2M on a media awareness campaign........

Just await my knighthood after that.

There appears to be no Regulation controlling sales of parts.

Wolseley group already have the policy of not selling gas carrying parts to non corgi people, which they can ignore in the branches if they wish, and that, in practice, won't change, according to the manager of my local branch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back