what exactly does CORGI registered mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner and I have personally lost respect for plumbers. Most of them do the job for money and feel they don't owe their customers a duty of care. 10% are genuine and 90% are cowboys who studied plumbing because they needed something to get them off the dole queue.

Since Dec 24 we have had problems with our heating and till today had no resolution.

Plumbers are not heating engineers - different qualifications. Plumber do bathrooms and drains. The Corgi registration means they can:

* practice gas work for profit (to what courses allows them)
* know basic safety aspects of gas

Not much else.

Sponsored Links
To be CORGI registered you have to prove competancy and belong to CORGI

Corgi are the registration authority that's all, nothing else. They keep a list of those people.

Passing a simple exam does not mean the person is "competent". Competency comes with practice in the field - what you do, your results.

***Incorrect information removed. MOD.

Check your gas safety and use regs. To be deemed competant to work on gas you must hold a recognised qualification and be registered with the governing body. Which at the moment is run by Corgi.
It has bu**er all to do with working for profit.

Wasn't being ill tempered at all Mod - just pointing out the facts. Your thinking i was being ill-tempered is an example of the difficulty in conveying emotion via the written word (despite the emoticons [or maybe i'm just a rubbish communicator]), also as evidenced by my missing doitall's double irony :oops:. Think i'll have to change my identity to live that one down :oops: . I thought doitall's comments were very witty - the saucy teenager :LOL:

Obviously a lot of well informed, reasonably intelligent people on here - didn't think no-one would mind :cry:

Cool forum, excellent help. (You'll have to read this quick before the mod accidentally hits the delete button again).

Sponsored Links
My partner and I have personally lost respect for plumbers. Most of them do the job for money and feel they don't owe their customers a duty of care. 10% are genuine and 90% are cowboys who studied plumbing because they needed something to get them off the dole queue.

I find this opening barrage quite offensive,and,considering the above, iam surprised to see the amount of help and advice you have recieved here.This goes to show the calibre of the people who choose to give their time and advice free on this site.

I personally think that solicitors/lawyers are the biggest rip off merchants on the planet

I personally think that solicitors/lawyers are the biggest rip off merchants on the planet

and thats the honest ones...

...or is that a contradiction in terms. (a honest solicitor) think ive lost the plot :oops:

Hmmmm,absolutely,i wonder if i could trouble the OP for some free legal advice?what do you think the answer would be?

I know..... answers on a postcard,but.....the postcards are a £20 a go.

My solicitor said "good morning " today...but charged me a tenner for it!!!!

To be CORGI registered you have to prove competancy and belong to CORGI

Corgi are the registration authority that's all, nothing else. They keep a list of those people.

Passing a simple exam does not mean the person is "competent". Competency comes with practice in the field - what you do, your results.

***Incorrect information removed. MOD.

Drivel Eh? wtf are you talking about that is how to be CORGI registered as per their definition

Just for your info Dr Duffer you specifically picked out one of my remarks and used it for your own (and most would say BORING) agenda so go easy on your usual disparging ill concieved and frankly igorant manner for a mo and GET THE WHOLE FACTS before you shoot off at the mouth

Please read ALL my posting before using me to justify your Dogma and you will see that I am in agreement with you.

IMHO ACS and Corgi registeration DOES NOT prove anything other than you have learnt enough to go to a training center, give them a shed load of cash and then walk out with a meaningless piece of paper.

it does not mean

1 you are safe to work on gas (how many scenerios of NCS AR or ID are actually used in CCN1 or any of the elements?)

2 You know how to strip down an appliance (I got to take the cover of a Suprima and a kingfisher on my CCN1 and CEN1 woop de doo)

3 You can recognise an appliance failure (on my CEN1 they had take the comman off the AFS!, on my CKR1 they hadnt put the top on the burner properly, on my WAT1 they didnt put a fault in it at all, same with the space heaters. and For a laugh (because i can only suppose it made them smile) I had to "make up" faults on a non existant WAU for my WAU1.

The ACS should be scrapped for the money making scheme that it is. It is joke it is pathetic and IMHO it WILL get someone killed because it is sending fitters out there with an inflated sense of their own ability that has no basis in truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone who has been doing the job for a good few years really feel that they have achieved something when they do their retake??? or do you, like me, just feel the lightness in wallet and a sense of wasted time?

In summation DD I agree whole heartedly with you.

Rant over, and who the heck do we talk to about our concerns over the rip off that is ACS??

And Mr or mrs Mod feel free to remove my post as I freely admit that is is ill tempered in tone and in meaning and when I think of CORGI and ACS I feel pretty darn ill tempered too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back