Unaccompanied migrant children ...I don't get it.

Two people are hardly representative. Especially when 50% of that sample weren't even in the UK to start with. o_O

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
According to Amnesty International the UK does not allow under 18 refugees to sponsor their family members:
Family reunion for refugees is not a new idea – but the UK’s immigration rules are failing many like Omar’s family. Currently:

• A child refugee in the UK cannot sponsor any family members, even their parents, to join them.
  • Most adult refugees already in the UK are unable to sponsor their parents, children over 18 or adult siblings, because of severe restrictions in the rules.
  • Many British citizens are similarly unable to sponsor their refugee family members because of these restrictions.

Is that why the legal people are saying last week's decision is groundbreaking, and the quote above is no longer valid?
I'm not sure woody. Perhaps there's some conflict between UK and EU/UN legislation. Perhaps the Dublin 111 is a piece of EU or UN legislation.
I don't really have the time to research it just now. Just repeating BBC and Amnesty International comments.

Perhaps it was groundbreaking (although I don't remember seeing that descriptive word) because the EU/UN legislation trumped the UK rules?

I think can understand the second and third statement of Amnesty International because there is a threshold of something like "earning £30k pa to sponsor a relative" now

Some distressing reading:
2010 Human Rights Watch Report on unaccompanied migrant children. It's evident that Europe was ill-prepared for what was about to happen. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2010/country-chapters/europe/central-asia-0

Some facts and figures from Europe Home Affairs 2013 when an estimated 25,000 unaccompanied children entered EU. http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/asylum/uam/uam_infographic_a4_en.pdf

A 2015 Report from UNICEF suggesting that 25% of asylum seeking migrants were children. http://www.unicef.org/publicpartner...nd_migrant_children_in_Europe_-_Sept_2015.pdf

As per the very first post, I am confused just how unaccompanied children can traverse Europe, and their motivation.

Historically, there are many third world countries with the streets packed with children, orphaned, homeless, penniless, hopeless, and yet there they stayed.

Now these thousands of children are trekking to Europe, and I am struggling to distinguish them from the economic migrants that they are traveling with.

Are these really children, and are these really unaccompanied, and do they really have no relatives where they came from.

I understand that Sweden is a magnet for children purely because of the benefits available to a child and not to an adult. It's apparently also a magnet to any adult that looks young and who has no papers or ID.

Which begs the question as to whether this exodus is all based on somebody phoning home and encouraging others to follow. Because I just can't fathom how children have the acumen to make that cognitive decision all on their own, to up sticks and travel thousands of miles to an alien place.

Just to add to what Woody has said, it costs a lot of money to pay traffickers to transport folk across the Med... Where do these kids find the money?

Which begs the question as to whether this exodus is all based on somebody phoning home
Oh woody, that's brilliant. There's no food, no water, no electricity.....bu the phones are working. :rolleyes:

Just to add to what Woody has said, it costs a lot of money to pay traffickers to transport folk across the Med... Where do these kids find the money?
You don't have a clue, do you.
There are written reports and stories about child refugees being bought a space on a boat, unaccompanied, because the parents don't have enough money for themselves as well. So they pay for one space and hope that their child survives. While the parents remain behind fully aware that they may never see their child again, just hoping that it survives for a better life. Such is the desperation.

Search the t'internet, I'm sure you'll find many such stories

Last edited by a moderator:
It's apparently also a magnet to any adult that looks young and who has no papers or ID.
Despite your prejudice woody, the reports are that the reverse is true. Underage migrants usually add years to their age in order to be housed with the adults, not be treated as children.

You don't have a clue, do you.
There are written reports and stories about child refugees being bought a space on a boat, unaccompanied, because the parents don't have enough money for themselves as well. So they pay for one space and hope that their child survives. While the parents remain behind fully aware that they may never see their child again, just hoping that it survives for a better life. Such is the desperation.

Search the t'internet, I'm sure you'll find many such stories

Are you a parent ........I would not make/encourage my children to travel anywhere without me let alone accross the sea and transvere foreign lands despite how dire the circumstances. No one would look out for their interests more than me.

I ask again are you a parent . I cannot imagine any parent doing this.

Sponsored Links
Back