Uncooperative Council

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought an ex council semi that has been privately owned for some years.
I've had a new fence on my side with concrete posts and gravel boards.
The council owned old fence the other side has wooden posts which are mostly loose...three tatty panels hanging over my garden at 45 degrees when I moved in, which I had to nail up to keep my dogs in.

I've been in touch with the local council pointing out that it's THEIR fence.I want to erect a greenhouse next to it in a week or two. The last thing I want is a gale to blow it over and cause damage...sods law it's all leaning my way.

After several phone calls I've got nowhere with them...Can I reinforce the fence myself from my side, or is there anything I can do to make them sort it out?
Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Phone the complaints department, I tried this for something once (the bin men :rolleyes: ) and it worked wonders. Might be worth a try.

If it’s their fence other than returning the overhanging bits to their side of the boundary then you can’t legally touch it & doing so could amount to criminal damage. The owner of the fence doesn’t necessarily have to maintain it or even keep one on the boundary unless there is a covenant requiring them to do so. The owner does, however, have a legal duty of care such that it must not present a danger to you, your children or animals but, unless there is a covenant, they could simply take it down & you could end up with no fence at all! :eek:

If they won't take any notice of your phone calls try writing to them, politely pointing out that the condition of their fence presents a danger, that they have a duty of care to maintain it in a safe condition & you will hold them responsible for any subsequent damage it causes to you or your property. If not, the only other option open to you as far as I'm aware is to erect your own fence just inside your boundary.

A visit to this site & a little reading may help you decide your options;
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back