under worktop socket afterthought.

Sponsored Links
If he's not happy with spurs, it's not much extra work to extend the ring.

Blup

It's nothing to do with him being happy. If he's incompetent, it's not much extra work to extend the ring.
There are definitely times when one wishes that the 'education/training' of electricians concentrated more on electrical principles and 'electrical common sense' than on regulations (particularly given that even 'what the regulations actually say' is often poorly understood!)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The "feed" from the CU goes from right, up to feed the one on the to left rocky.

Then go down from the Left to Your new socket then back up to the Right to complete the ring, you can likely drill up behind that plasterboard if needbe, might not even have to

Any reason why he never run cable horizontal

In the very first post, it is implied the electrician in question is doing the second fix.

So who did the first fix?

There may be some confusion with the electrician and spurring - maybe he just prefers to do everything on the ring - even though that is not what was stated.

It shouldn't be too hard to re-jig that wiring so the new socket or sockets are on the ring - it's just a matter of working on the same principle of what's already there, in other words making sure each socket has two cables.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you spurred from the sockets - you could have a single socket spur for each appliance, rather than one double socket, as this may be more convenient in some ways.

In the very first post, it is implied the electrician in question is doing the second fix.

So who did the first fix?

There may be some confusion with the electrician and spurring - maybe he just prefers to do everything on the ring - even though that is not what was stated.

I did. I discussed with him and then I ran the cables. He checked it, I boarded it.
I don't want to do the guy a disservice as some of the confusion is most likely coming from me and my interpretation. I spoke to him earlier and he was OK with a spur if we had to do it. His suggestion was to add a socket higher up from the one on the right to and redo the cables. This I thought might look odd and there will be units a bit higher up

. His suggestion was to add a socket higher up from the one on the right to and redo the cables.

Do not really understand what would that achieve
Looking at your picture there appears enough wire to take 1 down below the counter and add a new link back up again

Do not really understand what would that achieve
Looking at your picture there appears enough wire to take 1 down below the counter and add a new link back up again
No not quite. This post wouldn't exist if that was the case!

:mrgreen:
Ha. Well he's the boss when it comes to signing off.
He has to justify himself.
At the moment he is talking a load of rubbish.
You should ask him why you cannot have a spur. New builds have nothing to do with it.
If he does not know the regulations, I would be worried about what other regulations he was misinterpreting.

I think you are saying the 2 cables in each box are currently blue going off to other parts of the ring and the orange goes up the wall along and back down.
upload_2021-1-14_14-18-22.png

If that is correct I see 2 easy answers:

1) add 2 double pole switches or FCU's as already described, either in addition to the existing 2G boxes [as shown in pink] or replace 2G with two 1G's or use a double box as already described. Divert one of the existing cables into the new box and a link back to the double to complete the ring [shown green], Then drop a cable down from the switch to a single socket. It looks like there is plenty of space behind the board and if blocked with dot & dab with care a route can usually be created.

2) abandon the orange cable and drop a cable from each socket to another under the worktop shown in red. I've shown a double but I'd recommend 2 singles.

My preference is option 1) as I prefer to be able to isolate machines easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back