Kitchen - Wiring under worktop appliances and building regs

Sponsored Links
For the record here was what I had installed in my kitchen recently:

Grid switch for four appliances with legs dropping down and into low level mini trunking 100mm from the ground with surface mounted boxes below the cabinets adjacent to each appliance. Low enough to be below the bottom of the cabinet and high enough off the floor to allow the plug to fit into the single unswitched sockets. The sockets are accessible by removing the appliance and don't stop the appliance from going back to the wall

Ok so lets assume i go with a grid switch to turn appliances off centrally.

Yes, but remember that the biggest grid switch you can get is 20amp, so that may be too small for the hob, ovens, depending on their power requirements, and how many separate circuits will feed these.

Haven't you asked your electrician all of this?

Genuine question - Why spend considerable money on a "pretty expensive solid wood kitchen" with a lot of appliances but not pay a professional (to "cut costs") to carry out an important part of the project?

I've already busted through my budget on this build so i need to save where possible. Also, i find the electrics enjoyable, interesting, and something i'd like to do myself. Also, i'm married.

For the record here was what I had installed in my kitchen recently:

Grid switch for four appliances with legs dropping down and into low level mini trunking 100mm from the ground with surface mounted boxes below the cabinets adjacent to each appliance. Low enough to be below the bottom of the cabinet and high enough off the floor to allow the plug to fit into the single unswitched sockets. The sockets are accessible by removing the appliance and don't stop the appliance from going back to the wall

Thanks, this sounds like a good solution i'll explore a bit more.

Yes, but remember that the biggest grid switch you can get is 20amp, so that may be too small for the hob, ovens, depending on their power requirements, and how many separate circuits will feed these.

Haven't you asked your electrician all of this?

Indeed - the hob is a 5 zone induction, so about 9.8KW - it will be on it's own circuit, 10mm in conduit in the subfloor to run to the island. Both ovens will be on their own circuit too as they're about 3.8kw each. So it's the smaller appliances i'd look at putting on the grid switches. My potential electrician has my diagrams and he's calling me today - i'm not sure if he wants the job or not yet (probably not!).

Sponsored Links
In which case the electrician which wired up my parent's new kitchen 12 months ago wasn't very good at all. Cables were dropped from fused spurs down the wall and the sockets left lose on the concrete floor for the appliances!

Not only was he not very good, he was a fecking idiot. No point in a fused spur and a fuse in the plug. 2 fuses to replace instead of one when there is a fault.
As for sockets loose on a concrete floor behind appliances full of water that will leak as soon as the pump bearings wear well the mind boggles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back