Underfloor heating in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting a new kitchen fitted shortly and I'm looking at the possibility of putting some poor mans underfloor heating in before it is installed. The floor is solid concrete, so I was planning on cutting out a channel and laying down copper pipes in the channels then tiling over the concrete.

I don't have any problems with the plumbing etc. but could there be problems regarding the tiling if I do this (perhaps the direct heat could cause cause problems?)?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Oh. My. God.

I can't think of one single saving grace about the disaster that is about to be your underfloor heating system.

I hardly know where to start.

Have you designed the system that you're about to install?

Do you know what temperature the pipes will reach?

Do you know how to control the temperature?

Do you know how to control the flow?

Do you know how to insulate the floor under the heating layer?

Sponsored Links
Yes to all your questions, as I said, my concern isn't with the plumbing but I'm unsure if there are any problems that may crop up with tiling, do I need to use a certain type of adhesive, could the heat cause any long-term damage to the tiles/adhesive, etc...

Softus said:
Do you know what temperature the pipes will reach?
Yes to all your questions, as I said, my concern isn't with the plumbing but I'm unsure if there are any problems that may crop up with tiling...
OK then - tell me what temperature your pipes will reach, and I'll tell you how to tile appropriately.

gcol said:
Use a decent flexible adhesive and you should have no problems with heat/expansion.
Thank you, :)

Softus said:
OK then - tell me what temperature your pipes will reach, and I'll tell you how to tile appropriately.
It will be ran on a temperature of about 45-55 degrees.

It will be ran on a temperature of about 45-55 degrees.
In that case your design is flawed, and you shouldn't consider tiling the floor until you've got it right.

Moreover, if you cut channels for the copper :)shock:) pipework, then you won't be able to insulate the rest of the floor, and heat losses will be abnormally high - another design flaw.

In that case your design is flawed, and you shouldn't consider tiling the floor until you've got it right.
Why is the design flawed?

Moreover, if you cut channels for the copper (icon_eek.gif) pipework, then you won't be able to insulate the rest of the floor, and heat losses will be abnormally high - another design flaw.
The problems for the copper pipes (corrosion, thermal expansion) have been sorted. What 'rest of the floor' are you referring to - unless I'm misunderstanding you, the laws of thermodynamics states that no insulation is required?

edit:nm, I understand you now and I've already got the insulation sorted for that.

Why is the design flawed?
I don't know. Perhaps you don't know how to do it?

What 'rest of the floor' are you referring to - unless I'm misunderstanding you, the laws of thermodynamics states that no insulation is required?
I haven't come across the law of thermodynamics that deals with reducing heat losses from badly designed and installed underfloor heating systems.

edit:nm, I understand you now and I've already got the insulation sorted for that.
Well, everything must be sorted then.

Hi,

I'm getting a new kitchen fitted shortly and I'm looking at the possibility of putting some poor mans underfloor heating in before it is installed. The floor is solid concrete, so I was planning on cutting out a channel and laying down copper pipes in the channels then tiling over the concrete. I don't have any problems with the plumbing etc. but could there be problems regarding the tiling if I do this (perhaps the direct heat could cause cause problems?)?

Thanks alot.

Don`t use copper, if you can`t afford proper underfloor heating controlled by a roomstat & a manifold at least use plastic pipe. I think you will come unstuck anyway because you can`t just lay it down willy nilly, the fact that you are considering copper for your underfloor heating shows how incredibly out of your depth you are.

Not on this ocassion though, eh?
Well you're wrong about me knowing nothing (as always). You're not wrong about the OP's lack of knowledge, but that's hardly news. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you can elaborate on fitting underfloor heating. :LOL:
I could tell him everything he needs to know, but he won't like it, and he says that he knows it all already anyway.

Will you two please take this to the general discussion forum. We try and run a tight ship in the tiling section and you're squabbling like 4 year olds. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back