Underfloor heating in kitchen

Hi,

I'm getting a new kitchen fitted shortly and I'm looking at the possibility of putting some poor mans underfloor heating in before it is installed. The floor is solid concrete, so I was planning on cutting out a channel and laying down copper pipes in the channels then tiling over the concrete.

I don't have any problems with the plumbing etc. but could there be problems regarding the tiling if I do this (perhaps the direct heat could cause cause problems?)?

Thanks a lot.

You're stark raving to be even considering this IMO. I have seen this on other forums where people have tracked their existing concrete or cement screeded floors to lay piping to provide UF heating. Complete lunacy.

Sponsored Links
The best answer I can give to that is to say that I think you should entirely reconsider the idea of channels.

Have you looked at any of the kit manufacturers' web sites?

Having read the rather amusing post, I must admit that as a tiler and plumber I would never do what you intend. Underfloor heating mats are not that expensive. £220 for 5 square meters plus thermostatic timer.

Why I think matted underfloor heating is a better LONG term option.
Easy to fit and works well. Unlikely to fail unless you fixed it badly i.e cut through or has a tile edge straight on matt or not using flex adhesive.

Your idea is well creative and could be cheap to run, BUT there are so many BUTS that I think you will have something that will cost a tremendous amount to remedy once it fails. You have no idea how much heat will be lost from pipe to floor level. what will you cover the pipe with(lots of flex tile adhesive?). To accurately control the temp will be near impossible

On the other hand you may have stumbled on an alternative way to heat floors. Only problem is you have to dig holes in concrete floors, lay pipes, cover pipes, hope your science works and does not fail- Sounds like 200-400 pound for heating mats depending on the size of floor may be a far better long term option.

You're stark raving to be even considering this IMO. I have seen this on other forums where people have tracked their existing concrete or cement screeded floors to lay piping to provide UF heating. Complete lunacy.
... :(

The best answer I can give to that is to say that I think you should entirely reconsider the idea of channels. Have you looked at any of the kit manufacturers' web sites?
Hm, it seems that it could be the only way forward... I'll have a good look - thanks for your help. :)

Sponsored Links
LLA said:
Having read the rather amusing post, I must admit that as a tiler and plumber I would never do what you intend. Underfloor heating mats are not that expensive. £220 for 5 square meters plus thermostatic timer.
That's quite cheap. I got a quote from a local company who was going to charge well over £600, and the room is no more than 5 meters by 3 meters.

Is there a brand of heating mats that you folks would recommend?

LLA said:
That's quite cheap. I got a quote from a local company who was going to charge well over £600, and the room is no more than 5 meters by 3 meters.

Is there a brand of heating mats that you folks would recommend?

might suggest you google it, bordersunderfloor for instance quote as little as £20 per metre,but many firms appear to dazzle you with fine facts and figures but wont tell you the cost :rolleyes:

your money your choice, personally i feel due to the depth of insulation and the pipe matrix then a finished surface required that if you wanted to do it correctly you would need to drop the floor level to accomodate it.

Do you mean this?

inscreed.gif

If so, then that's a cabled system, not a wet one, and it isn't in channels. Note that insulation layer.

Even with a wet system it's usual to screed on top - it's the channels and ineffective insulation that makes your design weird.

by the time you have finished channeling out you wont have much original floor left :LOL: because of the amount of pipe you going to have install to make it vaguely effective, and as Softus pointed out thats a cabled system "electric" and be honest electric is very slow and disapointing.
ive never installed any underfloor but ive worked on a fair bit of both wet and dry stystems, as one of our clients has it in all their nurseries.

if you are serious about doing this why dont you do it properly?

as your contemplating nearly excavating the whole area why dont you and lower the floor level and replace the depth with a proper system.

this shows pretty much whats involved

http://www.underfloorheating1.co.uk..._new build_ installation_manual_June_2007.pdf

strangely matches the area you have

http://www.underfloorheating1.co.uk/product/Underfloor_Heating1_Single_Room_Kit

and before you dismiss the idea remember you will be channeling out 100m of concrete :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back