Undermount Kitchen Sink Silicone Mouldy

There are a few ways that these sinks are secured but most should use echanical fixings. I use threaded rawl sockets that are resin'd into holes that have been drilled into the underside of the stone/marble/granite - the same stuff that HD wall anchors use. There are washers with holes in them and a captive threaded bolt, that's then resined onto to the underside of the worktop, it has a bar that locks onto that with a wingnut.
Then there are washers and S/S wingnuts, S/S threaded washers or a bar and nut that locks onto a threaded bar that's glued into a drilled hole, they then lock the sink into place. There are a few different methods

th
th

All use silicone sealant/adhesive to seal them up though.

If they don't use something to secure the sink into place then as far as I'm concerned it's not been installed properly and as suggested it's just a matter of time before it falls down.

Sponsored Links
Is that something a plumber could do now ie drill holes to fit the bolts (it's a silestone quartz worktop) or would it be too tricky?

I would say the risks of breakage would be pretty high to retrofit these clamps.....easy enough with the worktop inverted on a flat solid surface but from underneath, with a hammer drill:(
Timber laths fixed from below using the cupboard sides to hold a bearer worked well enough for me.
Panic ye not though, it aint fallen down yet :mrgreen:
John :)

If you use a 6mm dry corer, or a porcelain tile drill on slow, no hammer then yeah, easy enough to do, it's a touch feely job and it would be a cramped retrofit, easy to make mistakes.
Easier to retrofit the other ones with the basket washers as they just epoxy into place. As long as they are glued properly, spirit clean the surface, 2 lots of resin one on each, let it go tacky, press on, smooth the adhesive out and support for 24hrs before tightening. To support the sink they don't need to be super tight, just nipped up as they work hand in hand with the silicone adhesive.

Sponsored Links
I saw these on Amazon today - they look really good. No idea why installers don't use them in the 1st place. Is there a particular glue you would recommend to stick them on with?

Did you mean to post a picture, as there isn't one??

A good quality 2 pack epoxy, Araldite or similar would do the job, just follow the instructions closely.

Sorry - meant the brackets you posted (your 2nd picture). Look a lot easier than ones that need a hole drilled

Wee update - bit the bullet & scraped out old silicone & resealed today (took me hours!) Used my best buy of late - a fugee kit which I can't recommend highly enough. What a great finish it gives. Ignore the messy sink - full of old silicone. Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

IMG-20210315-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20210315-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20210315-WA0005.jpeg

Thanks - fair chuffed with myself. Now just got to try & keep it white!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back