'Unhelpful posts' ??

Underground cisterns in the desert

The Nabataeans were experts at collecting water and storing it in underground cisterns. All along their caravan routes, secret water collection systems collected water and stored it for later use. The ancient historian Diodorus noted: “For in the waterless region, as it is called, they have dug wells at convenient intervals and have kept the knowledge of them from people of all other nations, and so they retreat in a body into this region out of danger. For since they themselves know about the places of hidden water and open them up, they have for their use drinking water in abundance.”

Sponsored Links
Cistern is to tank what bulb is to lamp, interchangeable surely.
No, different things, not interchangeable. Most people get it wrong which is how my sig came about.

It is of course with regard to plumbing systems as we know them, not how it used to be in Roman times.

No, different things, not interchangeable. Most people get it wrong which is how my sig came about.

It is of course with regard to plumbing systems as we know them, not how it used to be in Roman times.
I watched Alexander Armstrong take another 3D journey through ancient Rome and he discovered they're still using one of the Roman sewers dug 2,000 years ago to this day. I think they pinched the technology from Persia who were masters of irrigation and water conservation.

Sponsored Links
I watched Alexander Armstrong take another 3D journey through ancient Rome and he discovered they're still using one of the Roman sewers dug 2,000 years ago to this day. I think they pinched the technology from Persia who were masters of irrigation and water conservation.
Romans and Greeks recycled a lot of stuff from earlier middle and far eastern civilisations, then the renaissance came along 500 years ago and it was put down to the former

The Eupalinian aqueduct is a 1,036 m long tunnel running through Mount Kastro in Samos, Greece, and built in the 6th century BC to serve as an aqueduct. The tunnel is the 2nd known tunnel in history which was excavated from both ends, and the 1st with a geometry-based approach in doing so
1708425225968.png

Romans and Greeks recycled a lot of stuff from earlier middle and far eastern civilisations, then the renaissance came along 500 years ago and it was put down to the former
The Harappan civilisation in the Indus Valley is thought to be the oldest known source of using a sewerage system, about 1500 years before the Romans were Roman. Graham Hancock is convinced rising sea levels at the end of the last Ice Age deluged an even older civilisation that was even more advanced, but he can't find physical evidence in the deep waters off the coastline where Lidar says it should be.

I'm expecting a post from JohnW2 accusing the forum of going off topic

I'm expecting a post from JohnW2 accusing the forum of going off topic
As I've already observed, my thread was 'ruined 'pages ago, and in a fairly unusual way, given the 'multiple jumps' of topic which have occurred.

I suppose I should be very upset (and moaning) about what you all have done to my thread :) ;)

Kind Regards, John

The thread was a moan about going off topic but the topic itself was always liable for digression once the OP had served its purpose. Sometimes an off-topic conversation can be interesting. It's the threads ruined with argument and vendetta which become the bane of the forum.

The thread was a moan about going off topic
Not really. It is (or was intended to be) about people who moan about threads going off-topic - particularly those whose moans single out one 'culprit', whilst seemingly accepting 'threads being taken off-topic' by almost everyone else :)
..... Sometimes an off-topic conversation can be interesting. It's the threads ruined with argument and vendetta which become the bane of the forum.
Compared with many other forums, we thankfully see very few cases of what I would regard as "argument and vendetta' in this one. Thereee are, of course, 'arguments' (differences of opinion) but that is a fundamental part of most ';discussion', since, if everyone is agreed about something,there is very little 'to discuss'. However, the good thing about this forum is that most of the discussions/'arguments' are very well-mannered, even when differences of opinion are marked.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back